20: Wei Ying starts to write down memories

'He is dead.' Master Lan said in horror of what Wei Ying did. 'He has no heartbeat, he does not breath. Do you dare to contradict ...'

'No ... I mean sure, he looks dead and with no heartbeat and no breath he surely feels dead.' He gripped the apparent dead mans arm, and sure enough, it felt like a dead man. However at the physical contact from him, the body sat straight up on the table and as Wei Ying leant in, the eyes opened to show pure white orbs. 'See, he is not totally dead, just his spiritual cognition is gone.'

'Spirit snatching?' Lan Zhan asked in horror that barley showed.

'Oh Lan Zhan, I would say yes but this just feels a little different to that ... even more vile.'

'Puppet.' Master Lan said in horrified anger.

He suddenly stood up straight and looked at Master Lan only to remember Lan Zhan's and his thought that someone could also listen in and see them through a puppet. That thought had taken years after their marriage to come up but he never forgot it. He quickly removed his belt and wrapped it around the puppets eyes then grabbed a thick burning candle and poured the melted wax into each of its ears. 'Puppet, yes this is now a very manipulatable puppet, able to be used over vast distances and in large numbers.'

'Why did you do that?' XiChen frowned even though none of them moved to stop Wei WuXian from his acts.

'He is now a puppet ... his eyes and ears now belong to another and you have him inside the boundaries of Cloud Recesses. If they are using it to listen in or watch somehow ... now they can not. They could well be used for ...' he took a deep breath before he used the word war. 'Spying or attacking.' He could feel the resentful energy in the body, just under the surface.

'Where did you hear about this sort of thing and how did you even recognise it?' XiChen asked as he watched Wei Ying's eyes closely only to see something like a blanket fall.

'Don't know, must have read about it somewhere. I like to read a wide variety of things and any time I visit somewhere, I read what ever I can, so I could have read it anywhere.' He tentatively reached out his hand and held it a few inches over the puppets eyes open eyes. This was one thing he had been able to do near the end of his life but didn't have any puppets to try it on .... Now he wanted to try it out. With a sly glance at the three who watched every move he made, he bit his lip wondering if he should just not do it.

'Wei WuXian, what are you doing?'

'It's alright Sect Leader Lan, this will harm neither him nor I. I pray I am not wrong about empathy.' he closed his eyes as the tip of his finger touched the dead man and watched the last thing this man had seen. Only because he had Demonic Cultivation in him, was he able to even do this. Empathy can only be done on a living person; this kind of dark empathy is only for the dead. 'Hmmm.' He stood up and dropped his hand as he moved back a few feet wanting to distance himself from the puppet.

'What happened?'

'Master Lan ... I ...' he looked at the three who watched him with interest as he debated telling them everything. 'Don't worry, nothing happened, it was a silly thought trying Empathy on a dead man. This body is just a puppet. Do what you need too do as he is no longer in this body. His soul is elsewhere unable to be returned as it shattered. Poor soul.' He turned and walked back to the other area, picking up his sword and took slow deep breaths as he ran through what he had see through the dead mans eyes. Wen RuoHan had been standing in front of the GusuLan sect member holding a Yin Iron piece as he turned this man into a puppet. The man somehow fought him and now his soul was no longer here. However, there had been other with this man, others that Wen RuoHan had done the same too. 'You might want to send warnings to the other sects, if any turn up, they should do the same as I did if they want to examine it ... or do not talk around it.'