41: Lan Zhan plays their song

Wei Ying finally opened his eyes to the sounds of a song he did not expect to hear for many years, if ever. He, at first, thought he was just dreaming but he turned his head and looked right into the golden eyes of Lan Zhan ... and they showed love. 'Lan Zhan ...' he blinked as tears fell. 'How .... How do you ... know this song?'

'Is it not our song that I wrote for you in the slaughter cave after you came down with a fever? You asked me to sing you a song as I healed you because you were bored with the silence.'

'Lan Zhan?' he suddenly realised. 'You listened to it in the empathy.'

'Only because .... Wei Ying, I want...' He finally let the tears fall. 'Do you honestly think I would ever let you go through any of that without me by your side this time? And I refuse to let you die and leave me alone for sixteen years this time.' he just stared into Wei Ying's eyes so he saw the truth as he placed his instrument aside.

'Did you happen to see you bite me?'

'Hmn ... Wei Ying ... Do you want to know why I did that?'

'I was annoying you ....'

'No. If that me and this me is the same, I would say I was giving you a scar so you would remember me the way she would remember you.'

'Lan Zhan.' Wei Ying all but threw himself from the bed and into Lan Zhan's arms even as he opened them willingly. 'I love you so much.'

'And I love you .... Even before I saw your memories of us, you took my breath away when I saw you on the roof, under the moonlight, messing around .... And to think you were just ...'

'No, not just .... I didn't want to change us ... but I did have a little fun with it. I mean I did give you the title Jade Beauty after all.' He laughed happily when Lan Zhan wrapped his arms around his waist and pulled him close. 'Ah, that's my Jade Beauty.' When those ears tinted pink, he stroked one and felt the heat of them.

'There is just one thing I really want you to know. When you were living on the streets, a boy in white gave you a toy.'

'Oh the pretty boy in white. Oh, now, don't be jealous my Jade Beauty.' He stroked his cheek lovingly and received a deeper pink set of ears.

'How can I be jealous of myself? That was me giving you the toy. I never realised it until I saw the memory. I remember finding the most beautiful homeless boy in the snow playing with straw dolls. He had the most breathtaking smile. I would never have been allowed to take you home like I wanted to, so I gave you the toy my mother gave me.' He felt Wei Ying hold him tighter and weep.

'Thank you. I had been having a rather hard time healing from dog bites and that toy drum kind of made things bearable. I hid it every time I needed to leave and scrounge for food and when uncle came I never had the chance to take it with me.'

'That's okay. It did its job if you smiled while playing with it.'

'I smiled when I remembered the boy .... The pretty jade boy who gave it to me. To me he was untouchable but he looked upon me and didn't think me disgusting like everyone else did ... he was my first love. I even carved us on my bed when Uncle took me in ... it's still there ... though so it could stay I had to disguise you as ... a ... girl.' He giggled happily when Lan Zhan rolled his eyes.

'When the food arrives, you will eat everything.'

'I will need to leave soon.'

'I know but heal first.'

'I think I will just leave a letter for Cheng ...' he gasped when Lan Zhan's arms tightened around him.

'Do not say that ungrateful persons name around me just yet.'