22: It's that question again

'Speak.' Master Lan sat at the front of the class expecting Wei Ying to talk utter nonsense.

'Is it not true that it is generally known and accepted across the cultivation world that the words of the Sect leaders are unquestionable?'

'Even the youngest children are taught that.'

'Very true. Now, even though he was hired to execute the criminals and paid for by his sect Leader, obviously, you say the town's people, took it upon themselves to punish him for his deeds ... that he was ordered to do ... and in doing this his soul caused mischief. If this were really to happen ... should not the first act be to find the ones who dared to act against the sect leaders' respected executioner then deal with the soul? That is if the act of seeking out those who dishonoured his body for justice was not enough to satisfy him, which nine out of ten souls would be rested.'

'Let's say the deeds he was accused of doing was not ordered by the leader.'

'I am sorry Master Lan but it still would not be up to the towns' peoples to punish him. If he did wrong while employed by a sect leader, any sect leader, it is his place to punish ... is it not?'

'Uncle, allow me to clear this up.' Lan XiChen decided to cut in.

'Please do.' He had never had anyone pick this particular question apart in any way. Not even his two nephews had done it.

'Wei WuXian. Let's say this executioner preformed his acts for the sect perfectly but he was also found upon his death, to have been a hired killer of the lowest kind.'

'Zewu-Jun, I do see what you are getting at ... but ... still; the sect leader should surely have been informed as the man was his executioner, because holding such a high position in the community, he must be forced to answer to the leader, not the towns' people. For example, let's say that you yourself hired Lan Su She as an executioner .... I know this sect has none but ...' He made it look like he needed to pick one of the students in the class, so he bent forwards and looked around, but he used the only name he could. 'Lan Su She was killing people behind your back Zewu-Jun. Would the town have the right to disrespect his body before you even found out the truth of his actions .... Knowing you so well, I know you will insist on respect being shown to even the worst student of GusuLan Sect, so you would not permit such an act ...' only, I know we all want that man dead in the worst way ... when he is found out. Out the corner of his eye he noted Su She glaring at him with such intensity he gave him an innocent smile. 'Sorry Lan Su She, I just needed an example, everyone in this room knows your true nature.' He turned back to the front of the classroom. 'We can see the town had no rights to punish .... Well unless ....' He drew it out making everyone in the room eager to hear his next words.

'Unless what?' Lan XiChen tried his best to not show his surprise at Wei Ying's turn of mind for the details, not just for the basic question asked. He glanced at his brother who watched Wei Ying with a slight frown.

'The only way this man should have been allowed to be punished by the towns people is .... If he was not actually the official executioner?'

'The official?'

'Okay,' He looked to Cheng. 'May I have your brush for a moment?' when he had the brush in his hand, he then picked up his brush and twisted and turned them in one hand so no one knew which was which. 'Can anyone tell me which brush is the one from my set and which one is from Jiang Chengs set?'

'Wei WuXian, they are both the same, there are no differences.'

'Exactly Lan XiChen ...' he held up both brushes to show what he spoke of. 'Let us say for example, the executioner,' he held up one bush a bit higher. 'who really did work legally for the sect under the direct orders of the sect leader, every person he executed was under the orders of the Sect Leader ... however there were times he was unable to attend to his duties due to illness or the like, but did not have the courage to inform the sect let alone the leader, as their faces are covered, who would know if he was the one executing the criminal ...' he then held up the second brush and lowered the first. 'he may have a stand-in who is not protected by the sect leader upon his death. As no one would see his face because of the mask ... then, if the truth was found out after the man died,' he held up both brushes, side by side. 'then the town may ... and I stress they may have a claim.' When he finished he handed Cheng back his brush as he lifted his eyes from the brush he had been playing with and found both Lan XiChen and Master Lan were both staring at him in surprise. 'And even if that was still the case, if you were to deal with those who took part in the desecration of his body, he may be appeased because even resentful energy is said to know when a wrong has been righted.' So he glanced at Lan Zhan who openly watched him. He sighed and went on with the part that makes them all so angry with him. Even though I do not want to say this, it does give me a month alone with my darling Zhan. 'But back to the order things are done if we go by your way ... although 'liberation' obviously comes first, it is often impossible as to grant his dying wish sounds simple enough, it would be easy, if the wish was a new piece of clothing to be buried in, correct the way his body was treated or something like that, but what if the wish was to kill lots of people for revenge?'

'Thus, suppression assists liberation. If it is necessary, elimination would also follow.' Lan Zhan didn't take his eyes off Wei Ying as something about his voice spoke of other things rather than just the question. Have I been spending too much time with Wei Ying to the point I can tell when he is thinking something other than what he says? He mentally gave himself a shake to get his attention back to the class.

Wei Ying smiled, 'Such a waste.' He paused, then continued, 'It wasn't that I didn't know of this answer in the book, I was only thinking of a fourth path.'

'I have never heard of any fourth path.' Lan QiRen asked suspiciously.

Wei Ying took a breath, glanced at the three people he aimed this next part at; I have to say it, even if I don't want to. He then spoke the words, 'If we take the base idea, because the legal executioner died in such a way with his body so disrespected, it is only natural that he turned into a fierce corpse. Since he executed more than one hundred people before he died .... why not dig up the graves of these people, arouse their energy of resentment, collect the heads of those hundred people, and use their resentful energy to fight with the fierce corpse...' okay, even knowing it was a stupid idea and not really wanting to say it a second time, he almost jumped at Master Lan's response of slamming his fist on the table. He quickly glanced at each member of the family and realised not one of them realised the truth.

A deep sigh escaped him. I wish I had talked to them in the last life about this; it would be so much easier. But when everything was over with, we all just moved on with our lives.

Lan Zhan finally turned his full and undivided attention to Wei Ying straight on. His brows were knitted, otherwise he was still expressionless. He knew something was slightly off, something more than what he was saying, he just didn't know what it was.

Lan QiRen was so angered that his goatee was quivering. He shouted, 'How dare you!' He sprang to his feet. 'The essence of exorcising demons and annihilating ghosts is to liberate! You do not study the methods of liberation, and even think about increasing their energy of resentment! You reverse the natural order, and ignore ethics and morality!'

Come on Wei Ying, you did it once, just keep following the path for now he thought to himself then dived in, 'There are some things that have no use after liberation, so why not find a way to make use of them? When Yu the Great tamed the flood, obstruction was the inferior method, and redirection was the superior. Suppression is the same as obstruction, so isn't it inferior...' Lan QiRen hurled a book toward him, but Wei Ying just lifted his hand and caught it with ease, then placed it gently on his table. His expression remained unchanged as his finger traced the black ink on the green cover, and continued to talk nonsense. 'Spiritual energy is energy; resentful energy is energy as well. Spiritual energy is stored in the dantian. It can split mountains and fill oceans, available for human use. If so, then why can't resentful energy also be used by humans?' give me a different answer to show me you understand what has already happened. Another book came flying from Lan QiRen and again he just caught it and placed it on top of the first book before him even as he sighed, his finger tapping the small label of the book. At the same time he watched a slightly deeper frown form on Lan Zhan's face almost like he suspected what he was trying to incite.

'Then, let me ask you again! How do you make sure that the resentful energy only listens to you and does not harm others?' Lan QiRen spoke harshly.

Wei WuXian lowered his head while speaking, 'I have no idea, I haven't thought of it yet!' if he told the truth of knowing how to do it ... he doesn't think he would leave this room alive ... well, they would try to kill him anyway.

'If you thought of it, the cultivation world would not allow your existence! Get out!' Lan QiRen raged.

Wei WuXian couldn't be happier as he needed some time to think, so he gently gathered his things, stood up, bowed then walked out the room only to stop dead in the doorway the things in his hand almost fell to the floor. Remove the heads and use the energy ... he felt his heart falter. Had he been the one to give that traitorous bastard the idea of doing that? He turned slowly and looked in the general direction of Jin GuangYao as he sat with a deep frown on his face but his eyes glued to Wei WuXian until something changed in his eyes. Damn it all ... I was the one who gave him the idea. His eyes flickered to the three Lan sect members only to see them watching him, Lan Zhan looked between him and the class to see who he looked at. He took off and didn't look back.

Lan Zhan had almost stood up and raced over to Wei Ying when he saw how pale he had become when he looked over the other side of the room. Did he see something or someone that made him fear? He stayed where he sat but looked over at his brother to see worry on his face also.