Chapter 20

How many years has it been? He doesn't even know. Ten...twelve? He hasn't been keeping count that much. Who could blame him? After that moment all those years ago, feeling that guilt and self hatred, he lost energy. There is no place that he could call home, ever since he left Lioness and his life there behind.

He has been flying for years, for a place he thinks, that no one would know. For a while, it felt like there was no hope for him at all, until he found an island that wasn't very well known.

The island of Hispaniola.

Meliodas was taken aback at the tropical beauty of the place, but that was quickly overshadowed by the pained faces of people of many races. Mainly, the darker ones. He looks slightly toward his right and was saddened at the sight of three people getting ready to be hanged.

"Please! Monsieur Jean, do something! Save my baby! He hasn't...argh!" The wide white man, who Meliodas thinks is most likely Jean, kicked the old, black lady to the ground roughly. The poor woman hissed in pain, placing her hand at both the left hip and lower back at the same side. A few younger woman gasped and hurried over, helping her up. One of those woman, glared at Jean. Eyes full of hate and desire for revenge. But there's something about that particular woman that caught Mel's eye.

White hair, golden-orange colored left eye and that beautiful but equally 'childish' looking face structure. Is that...it couldn't be? The cycle has been broken and he saw her die with his very own eyes! No...No....his mind must be tricking him. Yeah, that's it...

He hears the woman speak, "Ou moso nan kras! Bondye ap pini ou pou sa!(You piece of scum! God will punish you for this) Mwen vini pou ou!(I'm coming for you!) I will do his work and tear you apart with my own hands!" Jean cackles at her expression of anger, clearly not taking her seriously.

"Heh..feisty one," he turns towards the men in charge of the hanging and counts down from three before saying, "Now!" At his command, the rope was tightened to the tightest that it can and the boxes under the victims feet were kicked away. Eyes budged quickly and wildly slightly out of their sockets. Lips wobbles as the people twist around, trying to undo the impossible and escape. But of course, they failed. Necks wrinkled a bit as it was squeezed to a similar shape of a double helix. Life drained from the three victims until thirty minutes later, they were finally dead.

The loud screams and wails flowed through the air in sync as the persecuted express their sorrow. The song of the despaired rang through Meliodas's ears, but...no tears came to his eyes surprisingly. Nor did he try to help the victims while he could and that they were alive. Why though..? Well, according to Meliodas, he doesn't know the situation. Plus, he's trying to keep a low profile as much as possible.

Despite the aura of death and hollowness flowing through the atmosphere...this is the perfect place for Meliodas.

This was where he had been staying for the past nine years.

Sorry for the short chapter! Just wanted to get something out. When it comes to that scene with Hispaniola, it takes place before Haiti became free from the French(real life). As for that woman who shares similarities with Elizabeth...well, sorry fam, that's not her. She's dead and is staying dead. Hope you guys enjoyed this though, take care and stay safe!