Chapter 1: Becoming Forsaken

I'm meaner than my demons, I'm bigger than these bones

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 23rd, 1999, New York

Alice wandered around the busy streets of New York. School had ended nearly three hours ago, but she wasn't ready to return to the orphanage just yet. She craved a few more moments of freedom. Being an orphan was tough for her – just the thought of knowing that her family didn't want her broke her heart. When she was 14, a social worker from Child Protective Services visited the orphanage and informed Alice that her only known relative, her mother, had passed away from cancer. However, her mother had left behind a letter. Alice was still angry at her mother for not wanting her and for not reaching out all those lonely years she spent alone.

Friends were something Alice didn't have. Her classmates at school didn't want to be associated with the orphan who wore outdated, loose-fitting clothes and ate a peanut butter sandwich for lunch every day. The other girls at the orphanage were much younger than her, with the oldest being only 8 years old. Although Alice had no friends, she had made peace with that. As soon as she was 18, she was planning on getting a job somewhere and move to Los Angeles.

As the clock neared 6 PM and darkness settled over the city, Alice finally decided it was time to head back. Miss Davis, the matron of St. Louis Orphanage for Girls, would probably be waiting for her at the entrance door, ready to scold her for being so late without even warning her about her whereabouts.

Choosing a shortcut through a dimly lit alley, hoping to reach the orphanage as quickly as possible, Alice suddenly felt a forceful blow to the back of her head. That was the last thing she remembers from her past life: the excruciating pain of someone hitting her.

September 14th, 2000, Sayan Mountains, Siberia, Russia

The girl awoke in a dimly lit room, filled with beeping machines and individuals dressed in white lab coats. She did not remember her name, or where she was from, or even her age. All she could remember was being struck on the head. Alice had been at a Hydra hidden base in the Sayan Mountains, a mountain range in Siberia, Russia, for almost ten months. During that time, all that she remembered were light flashes and feeling cold and in constant pain, as if someone was constantly stabbing her with a knife.

"Welcome, soldier" a man in his late fifties addressed her. He had a name tag hung on the pocket of his white lab coat – Doctor Maxim Semenov. "Do you know your name?" Alice shook her head, tears forming in her eyes already. "Your name is soldier 34983. You work for Hydra, an organization which focuses on making the world a better place. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes," she replied softly, the tears having disappeared. Somehow, knowing who and where she was reassured her, as though was fine and she had been soldier 34983 for her entire life. Or at least, that's what she believed.