Chapter 30: Home

Well, I'll never be a stranger and I'll never be alone

Wherever we're together, that's my home

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alice and Bucky found solace in a charming village on the outskirts of Milan, choosing a small house to rent this time instead of resorting to squatting. Their new landlord was a warm-heart and delightful elderly woman residing next door, Mrs Carmella. She also provided them with jobs in her son's vineyards.

Their daily routine revolved around grape picking, a hard yet fulfilling job that helped sustain their modest lifestyle. The connection with the village and the sweet taste of the grapes intertwined with their sense of belonging in their new life.

To conceal their true identities, Alice and Bucky assumed the aliases of Annie Lebedev and James Davis, respectively – two old college friends who decided to travel around the world together.

One evening, as the aroma of dinner that Mrs Carmella had offered filled the air, Alice and Bucky gathered around the table to eat it. Midway through the meal, Bucky voiced his concern, questioning whether their past might catch up with them.

"Do you think someone will recognize us?" he inquired, his eyes reflecting a mix of anxiety and curiosity.

Alice, chewing thoughtfully on her food, reassured him with a warm smile, "I don't think so. This village is quite remote. If anyone had recognized us, we wouldn't be sitting here enjoying this delightful dinner that Mrs Carmella prepared for us. No need to worry, Buck."

"Yeah, you're right," he conceded, a sense of relief washing over him.

Their life in Italy was great. Bucky, showing praiseworthy effort, began picking up a bit of Italian – perhaps not fluent, but a promising start. The harvest season was done, yet Mrs Carmella, managed to secure them new jobs. Alice found herself tending a bar just blocks away from their home, while Bucky helped Mrs Carmella's son with deliveries and various odd jobs.

Approaching noon, Alice typically returned home during her lunch break. She preferred preparing her own meals, finding comfort in cooking, using all the vegetables gifted by her neighbours.

"Ah, miss Annie, how are you today? I didn't see you early this morning before work," Mrs Carmella greeted in Italian as Alice was about to enter her house.

"I'm good, Mrs Carmella, just came home on my lunch break as usual. Thank you for asking. James drove me to work today," Alice replied with a smile.

"Okay. Come here after you eat. I'll make you some coffee, and we'll chat for a bit."

"Sure, Mrs Carmella. I'll be there before I go to work."

After preparing lunch for herself and Bucky, Alice followed her promise and visited Mrs Carmella's residence. The old lady prepared two expressos, and they sat at the kitchen table, sipping and talking. Alice marvelled at the richness of Mrs Carmella's expresso, saying it was the best she'd ever tasted.