Chapter 2: Forgotten memories

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17th, 2006, Sayan Mountains, Siberia, Russia

Forsaken would be on cryo for a few months, Doctor Semenov would wake her up, sent her on a mission, and then he would wipe her memory and put her on cryogenic sleep for a few months. He could not risk having her remember details about her past This routine had become Forsaken's norm, but this mission was different. Unlike her usual solitary assignments, this time she wouldn't be alone.

"Forsaken, you are headead to Ukraine on a mission with the Winter Soldier," Doctor Semenov informed as he prepped her to go. "You will neutralize two targets, Fedir Melnyk and Ivan Bondarenko. Before that, surveil them for a few days and report back to us everything they do. Orders to eliminate them will come when necessary. Understood, soldier?"

"Understood," she affirmed, rising from her chair.

"The Winter Soldier is outside waiting for you. Do not disappoint us, Forsaken."

"I won't, sir."

March 17th, 2006, Zalishchyky, Ukraine

The journey to Ukraine was uneventful. Forsaken and the Winter Soldier remained silent until they reached Zalishchyky, a small town in western Ukraine.

"We're here" the male spoke in a low tone.

Hydra had arranged a small two-bedroom house for them, just across the street from their target's house. It was stocked with everything needed for the mission – weapons, food, clothes, and medical supplies.

For the next two days, they silently watched their targets, alternating shifts only for essentials like eating, bathroom breaks, or sleep for just an hour. Forsaken would occasionally hear the Winter Soldier's voice when he called their Hydra superiors, reporting on what their targets were doing.

"Do you ever get memories of your past life?" the male soldier suddenly asked as they observed Fedir Melnyk entering his house, catching her off guard.

"What do you mean by 'past life,' soldier?" she replied, focusing on Melnyk.

The Winter Soldier sighed, "I mean, before joining Hydra. Who you were before becoming a soldier."

"I was always Forsaken; I never had a past life," she asserted, noting Melnyk's arrival time on paper.

"You never remember someone who you don't know who they are, but know they were important before?" he questioned, locking eyes with her.

Forsaken took a few minutes to answer his question. Though she believed she was always Forsaken, she tried to recall someone familiar, someone who felt like home. Suddenly, she remembered the details of her first mission, which were supposed to be erased from her mind. She remembered living in an orphanage. She remembered killing someone who took care of her in that orphanage, but she didn't remember their name.

"I-I-I remember..." she turned to the men who was sitting a few inches next to her, "I remember living in an orphanage. I remember being in an orphanage. A man from the base instructed me to kill someone there... I-I remember how they took care of me while I lived there... I-I remember, soldier..." her voice was small, even trembling a bit. She tried to remember more, but she couldn't.

"I remember something too..." he said, "I had a friend before all this. We were close, but I can't remember more. Do you think they're hiding more from us?"

Before Forsaken could answer, the phone rang. "It's time," he said after answering. "We need to go, grab your weapons. It's time to eliminate them."

They both went to the house where Fedir Melnyk and Ivan Bondarenko lived, quietly entering through the back door. Unfortunately, it looked like Melnyk and Bondarenko were already expecting them, each with a gun pointed at their chests. They were about to shoot, but the Hydra soldiers were quicker than them, and they disarmed them. But their targets would not give up. The Winter Soldier was fighting with Bondarenko, while Forsaken faced Melnyk. The woman was about to knock her opponent out when he drew a knife and stabbed her on the left side of her hip. Groaning in pain, she got the knife out of her and threw it right at Melnyk's head, killing him instantly. A gunshot echoed; the Winter Soldier had eliminated Bondarenko.

"We have to go back to the safe house" the male soldier picked her up by her legs and took her to the house where they were before. Once inside, he settled her at the dining table. "Stay put; I'll get the supplies."

Forsaken did as her partner said and stayed still, waiting for him. The stab wound hurt a bit, but she had been hurt a lot worse, so it didn't matter a lot to her.

He came back with alcohol, thread and a needle, and some gauze. "Stay still" he poured the alcohol on top of the wound, making her wince a bit. "I'm gonna stich you up now, okay?", she nodded and he started to stitch her wound. After he was done, he put the gauze on top of it. "There, it should be fine for now, but ask Semenov to give that a look when we arrive at the base."

They left Ukraine just an hour later after eliminating their targets. At the Hydra base, they were segregated into their rooms. Doctor Semenov inspected Forsaken's wound, deeming it well enough to heal in a few days.

"We will just wait for your wound to heal, and then we will put you back on cryo, soldier," he informed before leaving her room. It didn't concern her; she'd grown used to the routine and felt powerless to change it.

It was now time to sleep, but she couldn't. She kept thinking about what the Winter Soldier had told her and about the orphanage. She pondered the Winter Soldier's words and her memories of the orphanage. Getting up, she splashed water on her face in the bathroom.

"Are you okay?" the Winter Soldier had entered the bathroom as soon as she splashed the water in her face.

"Yes," she replied curtly, reluctant to expose vulnerability. "I'm heading back to my room."

He swiftly grabbed her wrist. "Wait," he implored. "Things will improve someday. We'll escape together; just hold on for a bit longer."

"Listen here soldier, I don't want to escape and I don't care about your feelings. I like living here and there's no way I'm leaving, only dead."

She stormed out of the bathroom and went back to bed, but she still couldn't sleep. Was Hydra bad after all?

December 1st, 2009, Sayan Mountains, Siberia, Russia

Following her recovery, Forsaken and the Winter Soldier were returned to cryo. She was only woken up a couple times after that to go on missions. Hydra had wiped her memory again, so she didn't remember anything the Winter Soldier had said to her before. They went on a couple of missions together, but he didn't talk to her about their past lives again. His memory was wiped as well. They were back to square one.