Chapter 20: Runaways

Oh I could've done the righteous thing

But we're all gonna die someday

I'm not gonna look you in the eye

And tell you it's all okay

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agent Sitwell was in the process of explain the manhunt strategy to other Shield agents – scan every cell phone, security camera, computer, and closing all airports and main roads to catch the two fugitives.

"With all due respect," Agent 13 stood up, "if Shield is conducting a manhunt for Captain America and Onyx we deserve to know why."

"Because they lied to us," Alexander Pierce had just entered the room, "Captain Rogers and Agent Onyx have information regarding the death of Director Fury. They refused to share it. As difficult as this is to accept, Captain America and Agent Onyx are fugitives from Shield." The agents reluctantly accepted the orders.

Meanwhile, Alice and Steve had changed clothes and returned to the hospital to retrieve the flash drive Fury had given Cap. As they walked down the halls, Steve stopped in front of a vending machine.

"You put it in there?" Alice asked him, but he remained silent. "Steve?" she pressed.

"Someone took it," he quietly replied.

Suddenly, Natasha appeared behind them, chewing gum. Steve abruptly grabbed her and took her to an empty room just across from where they were.

"Steve, calm down!" Alice whispered.

He slammed Nat against the wall, demanding, "Where is it?"

"Safe," Natasha calmly answered.

"Do better," he ordered.

"Where did you get it?" the Russian spy stared at the soldier.

"Why would we tell you?" Alice interjected. The other two turned to her, and she continued, "Tell us, why should we tell you?"

"Fury gave it to Steve," Natasha glared at the male, "Why?"

"What's on it?" he questioned.

"I don't know," Natasha admitted.

Steve got even closer to her, "Stop lying."

"Steve..." Alice called him, trying to calm him down.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Nat rolled her eyes at him.

"Did you know Fury hired the pirates, Nat?" Alice put her left hand on top of Steve's left arm, trying to cool him down.

Natasha's expression turned to one of shock as Alice revealed the information. "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."