Chapter 45: Family fight

So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye

There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy

There's only you and me and we just disagree

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve explained the plan to Alice and Bucky, who readily agreed to it. Their goal was clear: stop the fake psychiatrist before he reached the other Winter Soldiers, regardless of the risks involved.

"Does that even work?" Alice questioned sceptically as she eyed the getaway car Steve had chosen – a dark blue beetle that looked older than herself.

"It's low profile," Steve replied as he settled into the driver's seat. Sam took the passenger seat, leaving Alice and Bucky cramped in the back. The space was tight, especially with Bucky's muscular frame occupying much of it.

As they drove to the meeting point with Sharon, who would provide their gear, Alice voiced her concern about her missing knives.

"I hope nobody stole any of my knives," she grumbled, watching Steve interact with Sharon. The tension between them was palpable, though oblivious to Steve.

"You had 54 knives with you, I'm sure we'll make it if you have a couple less," Sam teased her.

"Hey!" Alice protested. "I love every single one of my knives very much. They're all special to me."

"Can you move your seat up?" Bucky asked Sam, attempting to find more space.

"No," Sam replied bluntly.

Bucky scooted closer to Alice in search of comfort, prompting her to glance at him briefly before fixing her gaze on the window. Slowly, she placed her right hand on top of Bucky's metal hand, offering a silent gesture of solidarity. He looked at her, but she avoided his gaze.

"Are they just gonna stare at each other?" Alice remarked, observing Steve and Sharon. "I mean, it's kinda awkward. Come on Sharon, just go for it. I already kissed Steve, he's not bad." Steve then pulled Sharon closer for a kiss, prompting Alice's approval. "Fucking finally! Their sexual tension was so big that it was getting to me."

"Was it?" Sam raised an eyebrow, amused by Alice's observation.

"You kissed Steve?" Bucky asked in surprise, feeling a pang of jealousy at the revelation. He knew that his two best friends were close, but not that close.

"Oh, shut it Tweety. Also, I kissed Steve on a mission to keep our cover. It was nothing," Alice explained dismissively.

As Sharon departed in her car, Steve glanced back at his friends with a small smile. They returned the smile, with Alice giving him a thumbs-up, signalling their support.