Chapter 42: Don't go

But I already know

But I already know

I already care

I can't be myself and carry on

When you're not there

I don't want you to go

Tell me you'll stay

Tell me this heart that you gave me won't go away

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following day, Alice awoke nestled in Loki's embrace, the remnants of sleep still clinging to her mind. It felt like a surreal dream to her, the events of the previous night swirling in her thoughts like a fog. Here she was, waking up in the arms of the man she loved, a notion so foreign to her that it seemed almost impossible. Happy endings were not for her, they belonged to a realm of fiction she had long since abandoned. Yet, there he lay, a soft grin playing upon his lips as he greeted her.

"Good morning, my love," Loki's voice whispered, still heavy with sleep. "Did you sleep well?"

"Morning," she replied, a smile tugging at her lips as she gazed at him. "Surprisingly, I did. It's been ages since I slept so peacefully."

Her words were true. Alice's nights were often plagued by the turbulence of her past, haunted by nightmares that seemed to grow more vivid with each passing day. But in Loki's embrace, she had found peace, a break from the chaos that consumed her waking hours.

Loki's gaze lingered on the tattoos adorning her skin, his fingers tracing their intricate lines with a sense of curiosity. "When did you get these?"

Alice chuckled softly. "You've seen me naked already and you only noticed them now?"

"Oh, I noticed them," he smirked. "But I was a bit busy yesterday with something else."

"Hiroshi, the owner of this place, did them for me," she explained, pointing to each tattoo in turn. "This one," she gestured to the snake wrapped around her arm, "symbolizes shedding the past and embracing renewal. You see, snakes shed once a month, right? They leave their old skin behind. It can be very stressful for them, but after it's done, they feel much better, almost like a new being. That's how I feel like... Every time I run away from something or someone, I have to create this whole new identity, so I don't get caught, and for the first few weeks, I feel amazing in that new skin, but... as time passes, I have to change identities again, which stresses me out like crazy and it's just... Um, and it also covers a scar that I didn't wanna see or talk about anymore."

"Snakes have always held a certain allure for me," Loki murmured, his fingers trailing along the intricate design of her tattoo, a silent acknowledgement of its beauty. He chose not to press her further about the scar, sensing her reluctance to speak about it. Instead, he offered her a silent promise of patience, understanding that she would tell him when she was ready.