Chapter 22: Sitwell

Oh no, I'm never gonna let it go

I'll keep fighting, I'll keep fighting

Nothing's gonna bring us down

Nothing's gonna take us out

Nothing's gonna stop us now

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natasha awoke as daylight filled the room. Fortunately, her injuries were minimal. While she was out, Alice and Steve deliberated on a safe house, with him recommending Sam as a trustworthy person. The trio found themselves outside Sam's house, anticipating his response to their unannounced visit.

"Hey," Sam greeted Alice and Steve as he saw them near his house.

"I'm sorry about this," Steve apologized, "We need a place to lay low."

"We're being hunted down by everyone we know," Alice explained.

"Not everyone," Sam stepped away from the entrance, allowing Alice, Nat, and Steve to enter. He generously let them take showers and provided fresh clothes.

"Why do you have women's clothes?" Alice was the first back on the living room.

Sam chuckled, "Ex-girlfriends."

"Oh, sorry," Alice apologized, patting his shoulder. "You made us breakfast? I'm gonna call Nat and Steve." She headed to the spare room Sam had arranged, where she found her friends seated on the bed. "Guys, Sam's made us breakfast, come on."

The four of them gathered at the table, eating, and discussing their next move.

"So, the question is, who at Shield could launch a domestic missile strike?" Nat pondered between bites of toast.

"Pierce," Steve replied.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Nat walked around the kitchen.

"But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star," Steve added.

"No, he isn't," Alice, who had been quiet until now, spoke up, making everyone turn towards her. "I thought I knew Jasper Sitwell from somewhere when I saw him for the first time. When we met Pierce at his office, I remembered him from when I was at Hydra. He was the one who introduced the Winter Soldier to me, he was the one who ordered the most important missions. I thought my brain was messing with me, so I ignored it. I should have gone with my gut. Fuck, I'm so stupid."

"Alice, you're not stupid," Nat comforted her, placing an arm around her shoulders. "It's not your fault."

"So, the real question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a Shield officer in broad daylight?" Steve asked everyone.