Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2005

It's a bittersweet day for me, I'm happy when I haven't got my head stuck down a toilet and I've never seen Dutch so happy and calm. It's just ashame that for our first Thanksgiving celebration Leo isnt here to be part of the family.

Danny's parents came to collect him a few days ago and even though Dutch has been distracting me with lots of sex it still doesn't feel right to not have him here with me. I've never celebrated a holiday without my son by my side.

Another wise idea of Dutchs is that we host Thanksgiving this year for his family and friends. Which sounded lovely until me, Annabelle and Eve were the ones up at the crack of dawn prepping vegetables, side dishes and decorating the house.

Bobby and Johnny were the first to arrive and I set them to task straight away.

"Come on you two I'm going to show you how to fold napkins, then I want one on each place setting, no messing about, I want everything to look perfect."

"Jeez Vanessa when did you get so bossy?" Bobby teased me. 

"Yeah Dutch is clearly a bad influence on you." He says nudging me.

"Where is he anyway?" Johnny asked.

"Him and his dad are out getting wine and beer to keep you crazy lot happy and drunk."

Dave and Eves friends start to arrive 3 couples who are all a bit stuffy for my liking but friendly enough. Then finally Tommy arrives fashionably late as per usual, I just think he was scared he might have to help if he arrived any earlier. Jimmy cant attend as he is spending Thanksgiving with his wife and family across state.

Dutch comes back with his dad loaded up with enough beers and spirits to fuel an army. "Babe, how are you going to explain that your not drinking to anyone, most of the guys are oblivious but you know Bobby will notice, he notices everything"

"Yeah I did think of that, let's make an announcement."

"Are you sure? You said it was still too early?" We had found out that I was only 9 weeks pregnant which would mean it was our reunion weekend that brought this little surprise about for us. I notice Dutch looks a little concerned he has been so worried since we found out I was pregnant I guess we dont want to tempt fate.

"Well let's just tell the guys then, now they are all here, i mean Emily already knows so it wont hurt to tell your friends." He gives me a look he really wasnt happy that I told Emily but she was my best friend of course i would tell her, I tell her everything I think he would actually be mortified if he knew everything I did tell her about us.

Dutch calls the guys into the outside area saying he was going for a smoke.

"Now you are all here out of earshot of my parents nosey friends me and Vanessa have got something to tell you. We are having a baby."

The guys all cheer far to loudly and grab both of us for a hug and congratulate us.

"Its just between us for now as I'm only 9 weeks so still early days and Well you know.." I trail off and they do know they can tell by Dutchs face that he is worried already.

"Congratulations beautiful, I am so pleased for you two it's about time you had some happiness and good fortune." Bobby says while hugging me tightly. "I'm so pleased for him too" he says nodding over to Dutch who is being hugged and playfully punched by tommy and johnny. " I've never seen him so happy as he has been since you and Leo got here and this is just the icing on the cake for him" I kiss Bobby on the cheek for this he really is just a cutie.