Vanessa

September 2005

It started out like any other boring day for Vanessa, she got up got, got her morning coffee (black, strong nothing else would do) and then proceeded to get herself ready for work before waking her son out of his deep slumber. She enjoyed these 5 minutes of quiet reflection that she managed to steal away each morning before the chaos began.

Leo her 5 year old son, was up dressed and ready to be dropped off at his nanny and grandpas in record time so Vanessa could get to the hospital before her shift started. She loved her job and she was great at it. She had been working at the hospital for 10 years now and it was always a welcome distraction from her dull and monotonous life as she never knew what was going to come through the doors on that emergency ward.

12 hours later, shift was complete and now she could finally go home not that she wanted to. See the truth was Vanessa was just a really unhappy woman who hid behind her big smile, and caring nature. She was in a very loveless and lacklustre relationship, she had a strained relationship with her parents who she still held a grudge against for her many past demons. The only true Joy's in her life was her job as her beautiful little boy the only good thing to come out of her dead end relationship.

Arriving home she could see her partner Danny's truck in the drive and her heart sank, great so that meant he was back from his long distance trip, he was back early this time and she wished he had given her fair warning, the house was a mess and the fridge was empty so she just knew this would be another argument brewing that she just didn't have the energy for.

"Hey honey, your back early" I say trying to keep my voice light and void of sheer disappointment. Danny was a truck driver and was usually gone weeks at a time which she loved as it meant her and her son could just live their best lives without any grief or drama. "Yep, can tell you wasnt expecting me, theres fuck all to eat in this dump". I bite my tongue I used to have the fight in me mainly because I knew it would end up in us having a blazing row then having some rough make up sex but nowadays I would rather just have the quiet life on both fronts. So for now I just apologise and agree to order pizza and then go shopping first thing in the morning. Already counting down the days till this asshole will be off for work again.

As I go to grab the pizza menu I see that I've had some post today, that's been thrown on the counter. I see theres a California post mark and I'm filled with curiosity. Inside the envelope is an invitation to the 20th high school reunion of West Valley High. Shit has it really been 20 years since I graduated in 85 now I felt old. I didn't even realise that the school was planning on doing this. I would have to get in touch with some of my old school friends to see if they were going, I was still in contact with a few choice people but Ali Mills and I were still close after heading off to the same college and entering the same profession. I hadn't spoke to her in a couple of months though so would need to see if she knew about this and if she would be attending.

As I stood there gripping the invitation another name entered my head, the name of my one true love, the one that most definitely got away the guy who was literally my first well everything, Dutch. Crazy, angry, sexy Dutch, I hadn't seen or spoke to him in about 15 years but that didn't mean I had forgotten him. Oh no quite the opposite, I still wear his St Christopher that he gave me as my going off to college gift and I cant pretend that everytime I hear the roar of a motorcycle engine that I dont still have a low down tingle in my body, and in those quiet times when I'm alone in my bed it's his face that I see when pleasuring myself not that miserable bastards that now banging cupboards in the kitchen bringing me back to reality harshly.

Yes I need to find out who will be going to this reunion for sure so I can properly prepare, but could I face him after all this time especially after how we left it, what if he was married now? The thought of him being in love and being tender with someone else still sickens me as if I still had some stupid claim over him. The worst would be though if he didn't want to see or speak to me at all, yes him blanking me would be the worst outcome of all.