Prom Night part 1

July  1985

I cant believe we finally made it to Prom night. Me and my boy have been through so much, too much for our young hearts and fragile minds to deal with, but we had each other and an amazing support network around us and they all helped us through.

I dealt with my loss the only way I know how, I threw myself into my school work and made it my mission to catch myself and Dutch up with everything we missed. I was determined that we would both graduate  I wouldnt allow him to throw his future away.

Dutch was struggling I didn't realise how much he wanted to be a daddy, I think he saw the baby as his fresh start his chance to do something right. The boys helped him by them all joining a new dojo and when he had karate to occupy him again  the old Dutch began to reappear.

As is always the case when someone suffers a tragedy people never really knew how to act around us and we probably didn't talk about it or deal with it as we should have.

However we perserved and Dutch did it he graduated he scrapped through but it didn't matter he got to graduate with me and his friends and that was so important to him.

We hadn't spoke about what was to come next, he knew I wanted to be a doctor and still wanted to go to college and that I had been accepted to two so far. Dutch would be staying here and doing mechanics at a local college it's what he loved and what he was good at so it only made sense for him to do it.

But we had tonight and the whole summer to spend every waking minute together and have fun like teenagers should be doing.

"I think Bobby is going to break up with me after prom" Emily just blurted out as we were at her house getting ready for the prom.

"Ah honey why do you think that? Bobby adores you."

"Yeah but we have fallen into that friends territory, he barely touches me anymore and its just like hanging out with a friend now, plus we are heading off to different colleges in the fall so it all just seems a bit pointless"

"Its a shame as I do love you and Bobby together I dont think me and Dutch would have made it this far if it wasnt for you two helping and supporting us"

"Yeah but look at you and Dutch, everything you have been through" she says carefully "and you are still hot and strong, i mean the way he looks at you, you can see you guys are soulmates and will make it, and he has booked you two into a hotel suite tonight, even bloody Johnny and Tommy have booked hotel rooms for them and their bimbo dates but Bobby hasn't done anything like that for us"

I can see she is saddened by this and I did think it was strange, but I guess Bobby had his reasons.

"So who's gonna be prom king and queen I say trying to lighten the mood" 

"Um Ali and Daniel are strong contenders, you and Dutch could get it, but I know Crystal and Brad have been campaigning like their life depends on it" she giggles.

"Me and Dutch are you joking, Miss teen pregnancy and Mr Juvie I dont think so, plus everyone hates Dutch, Even the teachers hate him, I'm convinced that they just passed him on everything so they dont have to deal with him next year" we both laugh at this " but I will go with Ali and Daniel for my vote"

I try to make jokes as it's the only way I know to deal, I cant even take myself to that place tonight, thinking that we would have skipped prom to be at home with our baby boy.