Friday Night, Date Night

September 1984

Its finally Friday and I wake up feeling slightly nauseous and worried.  There is a little part of me  that little voice of self sabotage that is saying what if this is all a sick joke and they are all just going to laugh at me while Dutch walks off on his real date with one of the schools beautiful popular girls like Crystal or Stacey. 

The past few days had been uneventful me and Dutch had seen each other in class and had lunch together one day but Johnny always seemed to interfere and drag Dutch away. He clearly had an issue with me  but as I've never spoke to the guy I can't imagine what his problem could possibly be.

At lunch time me and Emily were outside discussing what I was going to wear tonight and how I should do my hair. When Ali, Susan and Barbara came to the table and asked if they could join us. I had a feeling this would be coming especially after Susan and Barbara had seen me ride off with Dutch the other day.

" So Vanessa I hear your going on a date with Dutch tonight?" Susan pipes up.

"Yeah, I guess I am, I know its abit of a shock to me too" as I can see they are eyeing me curiously.

" Vanessa, you are a really nice girl, and I dont want to see you get hurt. Dutch can be a bit of an asshole and well you just need to watch yourself with him." Ali said I could see that she meant well but i could feel Emily start to prickle by the side of me.

"Look Vanessa is a big girl and she can take care of herself, plus shes got me in her corner so if he does act like a prick and tries anything funny I'll go after him with a baseball bat" 

The others laugh at this, but Ali just gives me sad smile. I guess she knows better than anyone what it's like to date with a deal with a Cobra.  

I try and steer the conversation away from me, and decided to ask Ali what's going on with her and Daniel. This proved to be a sore point as it turned out she believed the Cobras had pushed Daniel off his bike the other day even though Daniel hadn't actually confirmed this. Turns out Johnny just really wont accept that him and Ali are over.

The conversation comes to an abrupt end when Dutch and Bobby head over and sit by us. Ali makes an excuse and makes a sharp exit but susan and Barbara stay I'm guessing they dont seem to hold grudges as much as she does.

I notice Bobby sits by Emily and tries to get her in a conversation. Bobby is lovely, but I expect he is just on the wrong side of sweet to peak Emily's interest which is a shame as I think he could tame her and be good for her if she gave him a chance and got over her awful Johnny addiction. 

"So Vanessa, what time shall I pick you up tonight?" Dutch tries to say to me quietly but everyone suddenly stops talking and looks over to us, and I can feel my face go hot.

"Um well my parents are going out at 7.30, so about 8ish if that's ok with you?"

"I'm going to Vanessa's after school to make her look all sexy for you lover boy" as she says this I give Emily a swift kick under the table as Dutch and Bobby laugh. "So where are you talking my girl? So I know what look I'm aiming for"

"Well I thought we could go to the cinema and then see what we feel like after that, is that ok with you Emily"

"Yes that sounds satisfactory to me Dutch thank you" she jokes.

The bell goes and we all head off to lessons this school day just needs to hurry up and end now.

After school Emily comes over to mine for food and to help me prepare emotionally and physically for my date. Of course my parents dont know I'm going on a date they just think me and Emily are the ones going to the cinema together which we do alot anyway, so they dont really suspect anything.