Chapter 1

Luka stared at the tattoo on his left arm. A microphone with music notes and ballet slippers. His gaze hardened at the drawing. He heard his mom calling for him to eat breakfast. Taking in a deep breath, he grabbed the bandages and wrapped them around his arm, covering the tattoo. It's not that he hates seeing his soulmate symbol. He just hates having his feelings controlled by some silly red string. His feelings are his. They're not something that can be controlled.

Most of his friends have already met their soulmates. The only ones that have yet to do so are he and Marinette. The pig-tailed girl has been his muse since the day he met her. She's sweet, generous, amazing, and cute. He knows that it's not common for people to still date when they haven't met their soulmate yet. But people sometimes judge and are scared of doing so. His friends don't often speak about that subject so he doesn't know how they think about it - especially Marinette. Even if Luka likes her, he knows that the girl still hopes to meet her soulmate. So there's no hope for him to confess his feelings to her.

"Breakfast" Juleka peaked her head in their shared bedroom.

"I'm going" Luka walked toward her, both of them heading toward the kitchen.

"Juleka, are you going over to Rose's place after school?" Their mom began to serve the food on their plates.

Juleka nodded. The Couffaine household and the Lavillants have been friends since forever. The moment Juleka and Rose met, the families were ecstatic to find out that they were soulmates. Both girls were young at that time and started their relationship as friends, growing into lovers as time passed.

"What about you, Luka?" Anarka sat down to eat as well. "You're not working today, right?"

"I don't have anything planned," Luka shrugged. 

The family continued their morning breakfast in peace. The conversation of soulmates hanging in the air like a ghost. Ever since Luka's dad passed away, the family didn't really like discussing the topic - and it was because of many reasons. For one, they know how Luka feels about it. They don't want to force him into doing something he doesn't like. But the major reason is that Luka and his sister could often hear their mother crying in the middle of the night. The pain of losing one's soulmate to death is said to be more painful than that having them loving another. Although she does her best to mask her broken heart, the two teens could still tell that their mother is suffering. Seeing her shed tears and hearing her cries is what had also influenced Luka into hating the idea of soulmates. Why have one when fate can still take them away from you?

----

Marinette rushed downstairs from her bedroom in a hurry. She's going to be late for school. Again! Her parents had already set down a quick breakfast for her to take on the go. She thanked them as she ran out of their home/bakery. She fell into a walking pace. People walked around in pairs and groups. They all talked about the same thing. Their soulmates.

Looking down at her right arm, she stared at the black cat tattoo. Will she ever meet them? Her friends have met their destined ones when they were younger. The majority of people often meet their soulmates before high school. Yes, there are soulmates who meet when they're older but most try to meet earlier so they don't have to worry about their partner falling in love with someone else. That's Marinette's worst fear. What if she doesn't meet her soulmate and they end up falling in love with another? What if she does meet them and they're disappointed? More what ifs filled her thoughts. She hadn't even noticed that there was someone standing in front of her.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Marinette said as soon as she bumped into the shorter girl. The girl was wearing a red and black business suit, signifying that she's older than she looks, and had dropped the papers she was carrying. Marinette kneeled down to help the young-looking woman.