Chapter 26

This is a short Adrienette-centric update bc I'm packing for a family trip.

____

Neither Adrien nor Marinette moved from their spots. Both were too afraid to move at the moment, too lost in the realization that they were staring right another. Marinette felt her cheeks flush the more she stared at him. She's seen him many times before in magazines and on social media, but those photos don't really do any justice for Adrien's natural beauty. The way the sun brighten his hair and how his green eyes resembled emerald jewels. Not to mention that his skin looks absolutely flawless. His fan club has dubbed him as "the best soft boy" in the world and Marinette can't help but agree.

Meanwhile, she thought she looked like a gremlin with all the loose hairs poking out of her bun and all the old food stains that cover the sweater she was wearing. She also didn't get much sleep last night so she had a few noticeable eyebags. How could she possibly be Adrien's soulmate when he looks like an angel?

"You -" Adrien took a step toward her, snapping Marinette out of her thoughts. Without saying another word, she grabbed her things and ran away. "Wait!"

No no no no nononono. She can't have him look at her up close. She can't have him see her. Many people have told her that she looks like her grandmother Gina from afar when she had her entire hair pulled back, but she's easily recognizable up close. So she was fine with Adrien looking at her from down the stairs but if he came any closer he'd realize who she is. She knows that you often sent pictures of the two of you in your groupchat with your friends. Of course, this was before she realized that you're close with her soulmate. But anyway, this means that Adrien knows of her but just never met her.

And now he's seen her with their tattoos glowing. Oh god. All this panic is making her want to throw up.

She saw the park near her house up ahead. Good. That means she's almost home. She'll hide in the safety of her room, cough out some flowers, and then she'll prepare what she'll say to Adrien this weekend. Yes. She'll explain everything to him then.

"Wait! Hold on!"

She glanced over her shoulder to see Adrien chasing after her. Fuck! If he sees the bakery, he'll find out who she is.

Marinette stopped running and made a quick sharp turn into an alley. She hid behind a large trashcan in hopes she'll be able to peak out to make sure the coast was clear but it wasn't. Adrien had still caught on to where she went and followed her.

"Please stop!" She turned around, her back leaning against the metal wall of the dumpster. Besides her own heartbeat, she could hear Adrien's footsteps come to a stop.

"I'm sorry. I..." Why did he chase her? It's clear she doesn't want to see him. She's living a happy life with her partner. She doesn't need or want him. So why did he go after her? Why does he want to talk to her? Adrien gazed down at his wrist. "Can I at least know why? I just want to know why you hate me."

Marinette furrowed her eyebrows at the question. He couldn't see her and she didn't dare to peak to see his expression, but she could hear a tinge of sadness in his voice. Hearing that only made her chest hurt more. She doesn't want to hear him being sad.

"I don't hate you." She blurted without thinking. Adrien looked back at where she was hiding. He could see a bit of her shoulder peek out from the side of the trashcan. "It's quite the opposite, really. I admire you. You're my favorite fashion model. I'm even part of your fanclub. It's just that I..."

She paused when she heard a notification from her phone. Your profile picture smiled back at her. That's right. She can't say anything right now. She wants to be able to explain everything to the both of you. "It's hard to explain."

Adrien felt as if she threw an arrow at his chest. Her saying that she admires and is a fan of him assures him that he isn't the reason why she no longer loves him. But it also didn't answer his question. It only gave him more. He wanted to step closer to her but feared that she would run away again.

"Can you at least try?" He asked. "That way we could figure this all together. Please."

Marinette could hear the desperation in his voice. She hates it. She hates that she's the cause of it.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

Just like how Marinette could hear how desperate he is for answers, Adrien could hear how much she is holding back. She sounds torn. Why? He wondered. Why does he feel the need to comfort her? To tell her that everything will be alright. Why does he feel this way when she's the one who has been causing him pain?

'A ladybug brings good luck so that must mean your soulmate will be your greatest fortune, my love.'

If that's true, mother, then what does that make me to her?

Marinette flinched in her spot when she heard a thump beside her. Adrien had moved to stand there, his gaze focusing on the ground rather than on her. She almost wanted to take this chance to flee but then she felt his hand graze hers.

"I don't know what's going on," He began, "And to be honest, I don't even know if I could trust anything you're saying but... But I want you to know that all I want is for you to be happy. So if you really love this other person, be with them and don't worry about me. I'll be okay."

Marinette felt like she was the worst person ever. To hear one's soulmate say to forget about them has got to be the worst possible thing anyone has got to hear. Without thinking twice, Marinette grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers together.

"I could never forget you, Adrien." His eyes widened at her words. He felt her grip tighten around his hand. "I'm going to fix all this. I promise you that. You just got to hang on for me - for us a little longer. So, please... Please believe in me."

She let go of him and began to run away. Adrien remained still, hearing her footstep fade away. In that brief moment, he felt all of his pain wash away. Like it was never there in the first place. He looked down at his fingers.

"Warm."

Her hands are warm.

His lips curled into a smile. Bringing his hand to his chest, above his heart, he felt better than he has in ages. He may not have gotten any answers, but he got his hope back. And that mattered more than everything else at the moment.

Bzzt Bzzt

Adrien felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He took it out and saw it was Kagami messaging him. His smile fell. Realization hits.

He needs to cancel the date.