Chapter 33

Luka was exhausted. Both physically and mentally. Everyone was obviously curious about why he returned so early. He figured that Marinette already told them her side of the story and now they're curious about his. After all, how could someone not want to be with their soulmate?

He laid on his bed. He could hear the low whispers of his friends talking just outside.

"I don't get it. How come (y/n) is the only one in critical condition? Not that I want to see my friends hurt."

"Well, Marinette did say that she has been hurt much longer."

"It most likely started when he realized his feelings for Marinette."

No. You must have been hurting much longer than that. From the very moment he vowed not have a soulmate - back when he was a kid. He's been the cause of your pain for a long time now. He should have no right to feel guilty now. He isn't allowed to feel so worried about your well-being. Not when he's the reason why you're in that hospital bed.

He began coughing again. It was getting worse. The more he thinks about it, the more he could feel the thorns in his lungs. It shouldn't have to be this way.

Why couldn't he just accept that Marinette never saw him in a romantic way? Why couldn't he just move on? Maybe then he would have noticed you sooner. He could have met you at Chloe's party and the two of you would have spent the rest of the night talking. You would have asked him about the pain and he would get a chance to explain. It would have been awkward but at least neither of you wouldn't have to deal with these damn flowers.

Glancing down at the tattoo on his wrist, he traced a finger around the small ink drawing. He remembers seeing how they were fading in colors a few days ago. Now it was a mixture of vibrant and faded shades. Almost like the colors were debating on choosing to stay or leave. And he so wishes they stay.

Because then he'll know you're okay.

He'll still have some sort of connection to you.

----

Plagg had dragged Adrien to a quiet waiting area with a wall separating the seating area and the hallway with the vending machines. Public enough for there to be witnesses in case anything suspicious events occur but private enough to have a quiet conversation.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Adrien watched as the older man looked through two different snack machines, frowning as if he was making a serious decision. His expression perked when he laid his eyes on a bag of Cheez-Its.

"That Marinette girl," he spoke while pulling out his wallet and punching in the numbers on the keypad. "She's your soulmate, right?"

Adrien's gaze fell and he looked over at Kagami and Felix. The two were leaning against the wall with their arms crossed like they were Adrien's security guards, ready to attack this strange black-haired man if he tried to do anything to him.

"Finding your sugarcube wasn't what you'd thought it'd be, huh."

His back was faced toward Adrien, leaving the younger clueless to whatever expression he was making. The bag fell into the dispenser with a light noise.

"What do you want?" Kagami's voice hissed beside him. She didn't enjoy the fact that this stranger was trying to get into their business. Plus the mere mention of Marinette and her existence immediately irked her.

"Nothing really," Plagg opened the bag, turning back around to face the trio with a grin. "Just curious."

Felix sighed and pushed himself off the wall. "Honestly, old man -"

"Old?"

"This doesn't concern you," Felix glared.

"Of course it doesn't!" Plagg fell back, leaning his back against the vending machine and throwing a cracker into his mouth. The grin on his lips only grew more mischievous. "But I have a soft spot for fellow strays."