Chapter 38

"So after the whole assembly happened, it was only reasonable for Cal to set his chemistry lab on fire."

"I didn't do it on purpose - I swear - but school did let us out early so there are perks to arson."

"And now he's plotting to set his math class on fire tomorrow," Lucien sighed. "We now have an arsonist in this group."

"What do you mean? We always had one with (y/n) here." Grace nudged your side. "Or have you forgotten how she started a fire during our fifth-grade field trip?'

"Hey, for legal reasons we are not allowed to talk about that." You gave her a wide-eye look, causing the rest of your friends to laugh.

Your parents grounded you after your return from Fu's antique shop a couple of days ago, so you've been held up in your room with direct orders to remain bedridden in order to recover. You still haven't told them where exactly you went. Mainly because you were worried that they might get even more upset and overprotective. They might have even kept you from going to school - which might not be so bad since your friends have been telling you about all sorts of rumors that have started since the news broke out. So, you did the reasonable thing and lied to your parents by saying that you went out for a walk around the block.

"Knock knock." All of you turned to your bedroom door to see a certain blonde you've been missing standing there with a shy smile and a box of cookies in his hands. The laughter quickly subsided as your friends glanced awkwardly at you. Thankfully, Owen came to your rescue.

"C'mon guys," he began to push Ruben toward the door, "let's give them some space."

"We'll just get you some coffee... tea... You know what, we'll just raid your fridge." Cecil grabbed Grace's arm, dragging her out.

"Good luck," Kagami patted Adrien's shoulder.

The door closed, leaving only you and Adrien in the room. The blonde stood still by the entrance with a nervous smile on his lips.

"Well, don't just stand there like a weirdo." You patted your bed. "Come in."

Adrien's smile relaxed and walked toward you with a little hop in his step. He sat on the corner of your bed and handed you the box of cookies. "These are for you."

"Thanks." You took off the top, the smell immediately filling the air. "Ooh. Nathalie's homemade?"

"If by homemade you mean store-bought cookie dough that you just have to scoop out and put in the oven, then yeah," he chuckled. "Anyway, you look better."

"I feel better. My parents are honestly just overreacting." You took a bite, your smile falling a bit. "How about you? How have you been?"

"Good. I haven't breathed this well in a while now." He took in a deep breath with a smile. Ever since his talk with Marinette, all of his breathing problems have gone away. His sinuses are clear, the air is fresh and it feels cleaner (it's probably not but still).

"I'm sorry. I had no idea you and Marinette were... you know," you gazed fell, "soulmates."

"I know," he shrugged. "It's fine. Marinette and I already talked about it. There's no hard feelings."

"Oh. Are you two going to -"

"No. We've decided to just be friends."

"I see."

After all the times Adrien has heard your friends tease you over your relationship with her, he expected to see you more relieved over hearing the news. Yet the expression you made was almost emotionless. It was hard to tell what you were thinking.