Chapter 41

You were scrolling through your phone, reading and responding to the group chat messages that would pop up every second or so. All of your friends were already at Île aux Cygnes. Adrien had told your group about the weekend market at school a couple of days ago and mentioned that Marinette needed help with her fashion stall. Although it took a little convincing, you managed to get your entire group to help so they can fully let bygones be bygones.

However, the date Adrien had given meant that you were going to be a tad late. You had to help out your mom at the theater first. Which meant that you were spending most of your Saturday morning with Lila.

The girl was currently standing center stage, reciting her lines, and was having trouble doing so. It was a bit surprising. As much as you hate that Lila is a suck-up, you do think she's a great actress. She's able to bring all sorts of characters to life in a matter of seconds. She could play the sweet innocent girl, the heroic hero, the cunning villain, etc. Yet the role of Roxane in Cyrano was difficult???

You don't get it.

"Uuuuugggghhhh"

Lila rolled her head back, staring at the ceiling. "I hate this."

You flicked your gaze over at her. Some of the other actors and stage staff were hanging around backstage. Some noticed Lila's upset behavior and avoided her, others threw out some words of encouragement as they passed by.

Marinette often told you about how Lila was at school - acting as if she's the most angelic person on this planet - and Felix had mentioned that Lila acted differently than when she was alone with him. You first thought that it was just her being a suck-up, but now you think it's much more than that. Lila has been acting for much longer than you thought.

So why is this role so difficult for her?

"I don't get it." Turning your full attention to her, you shut off your phone and placed it on your lap. "It's not like Roxane is any different from the roles you've tried out before. Just do what you normally do."

Lila looked over at you. Her sweet, kind - and totally fake - smile disappeared as she rolled her eyes. She walked down the stage and went over to take a seat next to you. "I'm not having trouble becoming Roxane. I just hate this play."

"The play?" You raised a brow. "Like the whole production of Cyrano?"

Lila nodded her head, twisting her wrist over so she can look at her nails. "Yeah. I think it's stupid."

Your eyes bulged.

"I'm sorry," you twisted your entire body to fully look at her, "are you calling one of the most iconic plays in history written by one of France's very own Edmond Rostand, STUPID?"

"Uhhhh, yeah."

Your eyes widened even more.

"Why?"

Lila rolled her eyes again.

"Because I don't think it's realistic." She turned to give you her full attention. "I mean, if Roxane was already attracted to Christian, and he was into her, why even bother with the whole plan? Which is another thing that I don't get - why would Cyrano even want to help his love rival in the first place? If it were me, I'd sabotage Christian in every way possible while also throwing my shot at Roxane. Why bother with the whole nice-guy act?"

"Because that's just not who Cyrano is," you explained. "He unselfishly loves Roxane. That's why he suggests the plan in the first place. He knows that Christian can't express himself but is handsome and Roxane already likes him so he - well, he wants her to be happy despite whatever heartbreak he would face."