Chapter 40

This is chapter is mostly unedited so excuse any errors you see.

_____

You went around the skate park with Cecil and Grace wrapped around your arms, chatting about whatever shows the three of you have been watching. Lucien and Cal were painting over an old work of theirs, adding a new touch to the piece of art, while Ruben and Manu were cuddling at one of the lower ramps where all of you have put your school bags. Your parents have finally figured it was time to let you out and lift you from your punishment. They had told you that was because of school, but you think it was because you finally annoyed them long enough that they had no choice but to beg you to go outside.

"Hey, aren't those Marinette's friends?" Cecil nodded her head to the side, gesturing over to where a pair of teens were having a rollerblading contest with a small group of their friends watching on the sidelines.

"Oh, yeah, that's Alix." You recognized the red-pink-haired girl who was leaving the guy she was racing behind in the dust. You cupped your hand over your mouth. "GO ALIX!"

The girl turned her head in every direction before looking at where you were. You waved at her with a smile. She sent a small wave in return, a confused expression plastered on her face. She was a bit dazed until the guy rushed past her. She shook her head, refocusing on her goal, and continued on with her race.

"Damn, she's good," Grace spoke beside you. Alix had passed the guy again and her figure disappeared as she turned the corner.

You noticed Owen standing near the crowd with his camera. He was going around the park, taking photos of his surroundings to add to his portfolio. He must have felt someone watching him 'cause he paused and turned in your direction. He put his camera down, letting it dangle from the neck strap, as he walked over to you.

"Took some good photos?" you asked.

"Just a few from over there," he smiled. "Those guys are really competitive."

The four of you continued strolling around and chatting. You hadn't noticed Owen watching you from the side.

He had felt that something was different about you since you left the hospital. For someone who was just suffering from a serious health problem, you looked perfectly healthy. You also weren't as depressed as someone who is having issues with their soulmate would be - but, to be fair, everyone reacts to heartbreak differently. So you looking perfectly normal laughing alongside your friends and their antics shouldn't be worrisome, yet something in his gut told him otherwise.

Owen knows that he should be happy to see you being yourself again. You weren't letting what happen stop you from having fun. That's great! But he also couldn't get Adrien's words from yesterday out of his head.

'I think (y/n) really wants to cut her ties with him.'

Something was up.

And knowing you, you were doing your best to hide your true feelings.

Or you're running from them.

Owen spent most of last night wondering which one was true. He still wasn't entirely sure but he did grow a sneaky suspicion that caused a terrible feeling to stir in his gut. He had to talk to you.

The four of you ended your stroll back at the low ramp where Ruben and Manu were. Your purple-haired friend was now in an intense discussion with Cal over weird food combinations.

"Listen to me - okay -" Ruben clapped his hands together and took a deep breath, "chocolate with meat is nothing compared to whatever the fuck you ate."

"Pickles and cake isn't actually the worst thing I've ever eaten."

"Ew - what the fuck?" Grace turned to her twin brother. "Don't tell me you ate that too?"