Chapter 3

Sabine watched her daughter and husband trying to put Chloe's large birthday cake into their bakery's van. She was giving them directions on where to step so they wouldn't drop the layered pastry onto the streets of Paris. Chloe wouldn't be happy if she found out that her cake was being enjoyed by rats instead of being at her party.

"I still can't believe you made this gorgeous cake for Chloe" Marinette groaned. "You do know that she won't even appreciate how long it took you guys to make it, right?"

"We know, dear, but even if Chloe can be quite - for the lack of a better term - rude" Tom smiled. "We still have to treat everyone with kindness"

Sabine clapped her hands the moment they managed to put the cake into the van safely. Tom closed the doors while Marinette let out a deep breath. "Good job, you two. Now go get ready for the party"

"What's wrong with the way I look?" Tom placed his hands on his hips. Marinette and Sabine looked at his flour-covered outfit. He looked down. "Oh"

The family of three shared a small laugh. Tom went inside first, muttering that he should look his best for the guests.

"Are you sure I still can't hitch a ride with Alya and Nino?" Marinette turned to her mother.

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but you know how much we're going to need your help getting everything prepared" Sabine patted her shoulder before going inside to help her husband.

"Yeah, I know" Marinette sighed and walked back inside. She took a moment to clean up a bit before going upstairs to change.

The bell that hung above the bakery's main entrance chimed. Marinette was washing her hands, quickly drying them on her apron as she called to the customer. "I'm sorry, but we're closed - Oh! I know you"

The person who entered was none other than the red-haired woman that Marinette had bumped into earlier in the week. The woman had a similar soulmate tattoo as her. Marinette remembered her because of that. She didn't think to see her again.

"I recognize you too" The woman smiled. "I'm sorry for coming in when you're closed"

"Oh no, it's fine" Marinette went over to the cash register. "I feel bad for crashing into you. I'm Marinette Dupain-Cheng, by the way"

"I'm Tikki Yang" The woman smiled.

"Well, Miss Yang, what can I do for you?" Marinette grabbed a pair of pliers.

"You can just call me Tikki" She glanced at the variety of pastries that were displayed. "I'm meeting up with my soulmate later and I'm gonna need a lot of energy. So if I could get half a box of chocolate chip cookies and macaroons, that would be great"

"Your soulmate must be troublesome," Marinette chuckled as she moved to prepare a box of the woman's order.

"He is" Tikki sighed. "It's like bad luck follows him wherever he goes"

"Then you must be his good luck charm" The teen smiled.

Tikki returned the gesture. "Then that must mean you're your soulmate's lucky charm as well"

"I wouldn't know about that" Marinette's smile faltered as she looked down and shrugged. "I haven't met them yet"

Tikki noticed the girl's sad expression. Marinette handed her the box of cookies and macaroons. When she went to grab her wallet from her purse, Marinette had surprised her by saying that there was no need. That only made Tikki feel bad. She glanced at the girl's hands.

"Can I see your palm?" Tikki smiled.

"Huh? Oh, uh, sure. I guess" Marinette held out her hand. Tikki grabbed it and examined the lines. For a second, Marinette had thought that the woman's eyes had started to glow red.