Chapter 23

It was late by the time the movie was over. With the exception of Grace, all of you left Cecil's house after bidding her and her family a good night. Everyone had their own personal drivers come to pick them up minus you and Marinette. You had called Florence earlier to tell her that you were going to walk Marinette home before getting home. You were hoping to ask her more about why she decided not to enter the fashion contest.

"(y/n)," Lila tapped your shoulder before you and Marinette left. "Can I talk to you for a bit?"

You glanced back at Marinette, who nodded before walking ahead to give the two of you some privacy. You turned to Lila. "What is it?"

Lila glanced down and pouted her lips. She lightly kicked a pebble away as she tried to figure out what to say. "I'm not sure how much Felix has told you about me, but I hope you and I have become good friends after tonight."

"Get to the point."

She looked up to see you with an indifferent look in your eyes. That wasn't exactly the reaction she was hoping to see. Sighing, she continued on with her polite smile. "I don't really like asking for favors, but... I was hoping to see if you would be able to get me into your mom's theater troupe. I know there's no auditions right now, so I was thinking -"

An unexpected laugh escaped your lips. She noticed that your gaze had turned into a glare. She felt a pit in her stomach as you looked at her. This was definitely not going the way she wanted it to. You leaned your head toward her, your lips falling into a sharp frown.

"I'm guessing Felix hasn't told you how I hate suck-ups."

She froze in her spot. She could feel a sinking feeling in her stomach as you stared at her with a blank gaze. You leaned back, holding your chin up high. The look you gave her made her feel as if she was a child who just disappointed her parents.

"You want your spot in Phénix, then you should audition like everyone else. If you make it, you make it. If you don't, then just try again next time. Don't rely on me or any of my friends to make a spot for you just because you're Felix's soulmate." You turned and waved goodbye. "The most I could do is tell Felix when there's an opening."

Walking back to Marinette, you relaxed and smiled. The moment the two of you were away from Lila's sight, you wrapped your arm around her waist and rested your head on her shoulder. "So what did Lila want?"

"Nothing that important. Just wanted to see if her sucking up worked."

"And did it?"

"No," You scoffed and stood back up. You released your arm from her waist and grabbed hold of her hand. "She's lucky I just gave her advice. If she wasn't Felix's soulmate, I might have cussed her out."

"You're very protective of him, huh?" Marinette glanced to the side, a small frown forming on her lips that you failed to notice.

"I just want the best for him like with all my friends." You smiled. "Plus, Felix isn't someone who gets along well with anyone, so I expected him to wind up with a saint or something."

Marinette laughed at that. She could understand what you meant. Upon talking more to Felix, she's begun to see more of his real personality. If it weren't for your group of his friends keeping him in check, Marinette is certain that Felix would be the type of person that she would despise.

"So," Your voice took her out of her thoughts. "How come you decided not to enter the fashion contest?"

"Oh, um, well," Marinette averted her gaze again. This time you managed to catch the worried look in her eyes. You stopped walking, squeezing her hand.