Chapter 33A

For us humans, validation is necessary just as much as we need to eat and sleep. Despite many may deny the necessity of it, inside everyone's unconscious, we all crave acceptance from others. It is a burden. It is torture. But sometimes it is a push that we need to past through obstacles in life.

For Zhang XiXi, being the only son of a big mafia family was something he wouldn't wish upon his most hated enemy. Because he had seen firsthand of how barren the life of a mafia head was, by staying beside his bed ridden father. There was no one aside from him and his sister who would come take care of him, the man who successfully led a big organization over triple decades. In the last moments of his life, he was alone. Everyone who revered his glory and youth were now dogs lusting after his wealth and position. This scared him. Would this become his ending if he followed in his footsteps? Would he too die miserably alone, deprived of love and care from people who mattered? Scratch that. Would he even find people who would be mattered to him in his life time?

He sighed and pinched his nose bridge to ease the aching pain radiating inside his skull. It was 3 in the morning. He got up from the sofa he was sleeping and went over to his father's who remained serenely asleep under medication as the computer screen beside his bed beeped rhythmically. The man was not a splendid father but he was a good father. He cared for his mother and him even though they weren't the first priority, they mattered to him. He laid his hands over the bony fingers of the old man and gave them a squeeze.

If only you were healthy, may be the group would not be in such chaos as it was in now. He knew he was no leader, not like his father and definitely not like He Tian. If fate would allow him, he wished he would be rid of this title and burdens. All he wanted in life was to pursue literature and enjoyed his life in peace, teaching at a university or college. But there was no way he could attain these dreams now, could he? He couldn't let his father's legacy went down the drain by his uncle's wrenched acts. Sighing, he put the hand back under the cover of duvet and went back to sofa.

Knock, knock. A soft thud came from the door and he craned his neck to see who it was. It was so early in the morning, not even time for nurses to take their shift yet. He gulped down the water in his mouth and set the glass down quietly. "Come in." He braced himself in case it was someone his uncle sent to sabotage his father. Well, this was no Wuxia novel, so no assassins would barge in with poison darts in his hand. Probably not. But thankfully it was just his sister, Zhang Zi Qian in her bunny patterned pajamas came in. "What are you doing at this hour, Qian Er?" He said letting out a breath of relief as she walked toward him with a smile. "I couldn't sleep." She sat beside him and throw her weight on him as she lean against him. He stoked her head just like he always did.

"What happened?" Zi Qian sighed and she hugged herself. "Father is setting an arrange marriage for me." 'What?" His hand stopped mid air as her words took him by surprise. "When did it happen? I haven't heard anything about it." He pushed her off from him and held her tiny frame in front of him. She had her head dropped, hiding her tear stained face in the dark. "...He told me yesterday. I don't want to get marry, brother. I don't.'' Finally the tears she had been holding back came out rushing like a water fall and she held onto Zhang Xi's arms as if her life depended on it.

Zhang Xi gritted his teeth as bitterness spread inside him. He had been trying to so hard to keep this position so that he could protect his sister and uphold his father legacy. That was the only reason he was enduring all kinds of hardship but now it seemed like what he did mattered to no one. He couldn't protect his only sister. Zi Qian was his cousin, his uncle's only daughter but they grew up together and he was the one who took care of her since young. Their bond was as strong as real siblings if not stronger. This was what he afraid of the most and what he wanted to avoid.

He patted the younger girl head tenderly and wiped her tears. "Qian Er, listen to me. I am working on something with some of my colleagues. I will not let uncle marry you off for his profit. But I need a bit of time before my plan can work. Can you help me stall time?" Zi Qian looked at her brother the same brown orbs reflected in her own. "I...I am not sure, brother. I can't marry someone I don't like. I won't." '"I know. I understand. But we can't go against Uncle blatantly, you know that or things will become far worse. We have to act like we are going along with his plans and turn against him."

She wanted to believe his brother but she knew how powerful her father really was. He had all the share holders in his hands and he even had mercenaries working under him. How could they fool someone like that easily? She buried her face in Zhang Xi's hands. "I...I don't know. I am scared, brother. I am really scared." Zhang Xi hugged his sister and patted her. "I know, Qian Er. I know, I am so sorry." She hiccupped and poured her eyes out in Zhang Xi's arms while the latter stared at his father lying unconscious on the bed, there was only one thought in his head. He would not let his uncle have his way any longer. He would not. His arms tightened around the younger sibling and the two remained locked in each other embrace, trying to soothe the wounds unfairly inflicted upon them as the dawn approached steadfast over the horizon.

He Tian checked himself in the mirror as he threw a black jacket over him. Today he was going to meet with the girl from Zhang group. Appearance only. Not for anything serious. He was just going to meet her to play along with her greedy ass father's tactics. He was going to wear the usual suit but then he thought maybe it would be as if he cared too much about this meeting. So he changed into casual black shirt and denim instead. He didn't want a particular red head to think he was putting effort in meeting some random girl. He sighed and finished up his attire by putting his Rolex around the wrist.

He had not told Mo of this marriage meeting. He couldn't find time or a way to tell him. But just like he first thought, what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. May be he could wrap this whole Shenanigan without having to tell Mo a thing. Nodding to his own thoughts, he headed out. Today his mornings were free so he was going to head up to the meeting directly from home. The house was quiet. Well, Mo surely wouldn't be up this early. Slightly disappointed because he wouldn't be able to see Mo's face to energize before he had to go and play charades with some unknown woman. He sighed deeply and resigned himself to get a cup of coffee instead of moping in front of someone's door this early in the morning.

"What are you doing?" sudden voice startled He Tian as he entered kitchen. "What the..." He looked up and saw Mo behind the kitchen counter drinking coffee. "I...um...you are up early." He tried to get his smile enter control but his face muscles defied him and he kept grinning like an idiot. "I always get up at this hour." Mo said as a matter of fact and placed his empty cup in the sink. "Do you want breakfast?" He Tian perked up like a dog and he shone bright in his seat. "You mean you gonna make food for me?" Mo turned back with a frown. "I make you dinner too. How the hell breakfast any different? Whatever if you don't want...'' "I didn't say I don't. Of course, I want it. Yes, please."

Mo clicked his tongue and put bread in toaster. He turned his back at He Tian who was drinking coffee with a big smile on his face. Mo smiled teeny bit as he prepared toast and scrambled eggs but when he put the plate before the other male, his face was as stoic as it ever was. "Thank you, MoMo you are the best." Mo rolled his eyes and he leaned against the sink as he watched He Tian ate his normal breakfast like it was godsend. "This is delicious." He exclaimed. Mo covered his smile with a cough and drew his brows tight. "...What fancy outfit. Definitely not for office." Mo remarked as he couldn't find any other topic to talk. He Tian almost choked on his eggs.

"What? No. No, this is not fancy. I just threw whatever I saw. Really. There is no meaning behind this." He jumped from the seat and almost leapt over the counter. "Woah, calm down. I am not saying anything. Just a comment." "Oh...'' He Tian almost blushed at his outburst but he reined in and sat back down to finish his meal. This keeping secret was not good for his heart. Mo was surprised by his sudden defensiveness. It almost made him wonder what was he doing to do today. After a few minutes lost in thoughts, he realized he shouldn't be caring about what He Tian did in his day.

He mentally reprimanded himself. Stupid Mo Guang Shan, get a hold of yourself. He cleared his throat and quickly made an escape before He Tian could corner him. "Well, if you are done, put it in the sink. I will wash later. Have a...um...nice day..." His ears turned red as he quickly said the words and rushed inside his room. He Tian sat at the stool with a vacant look. "Little Mo said have a nice day." He smiled bright and temporarily forgot about his meeting with the Zhang today. Whistling away happily, he put the dishes in the sink and headed out to his car. The day was starting off with a great opening. It would definitely be best day.