Chapter - 60

How does it feel to laugh for real? To let out a giggle, a laughter that come up from the pit of your stomach, rolling out from the depths of your soul, filled with joy and delight...How does it feel to laugh as if the entire universe is on your side? What is it like, to not scare of dark clouds raining on your parade?

What is it like to feel happiness?

He could hear footsteps catching up to him, one... two... three... He didn't have much time to continue counting and darted through the narrow alley without looking back. His legs screamed of pain from having been on the run for more than a week but that was nothing compared to the boiling heat that was accumulating in his chest. His lungs were crushed from lack of breath, and he couldn't hear anything over the sound of his thumping heartbeat. But if the mind willed, the body will follow. He needed to outrun these goons, he needed to get to some place safe. But where exactly?

Zhang Xi almost lost his momentum when a sharp corner suddenly appeared before him. He skidded, almost toppled over the uneven ground before turning that corner and continued running for his life. Things had not been going well since he was sent to retrieve the data from his uncle, not that he expected it to go smoothly. He attempted to break into the mansion a few time but every single time, he failed, despite it being the place where he grew up. His uncle was set on getting him either dead or alive, but from the way his men were not shy to use their guns on him, he would say preferably dead.

May be thing would go a bit better if he wasn't acting alone. But he didn't have that many people he could trust and reply on. When he reunited with his sister, he didn't mention anything and just console her that he would be back after taking care of things. He also didn't have a chance to contact others, one reason being he was always on the run and second thing, he was worried that the military would catch up with him. Since they dropped him off, they had been surprisingly quiet. But with that tracker in his body, they didn't really need to follow his every steps.

Zhang Xi wasn't blessed with street smarts or enough mafia experience to tough him out as a vigilante overnight. All his upbringing didn't prepare him, both mentally and physically, to outrun and survive his corrupted uncle. He tasted iron in his mouth but kept his pace as he headed to a night market that was just a few blocks away. If in that kind of crowded place, maybe he could manage to mix in and disappear. And once he could secure a car or a bike, he might get to see the sunrise.

Something whizzed pass over his shoulder close to his ears, but he didn't stop to check. Sweat dripped from his head and glided down his spine before disappearing into the pants. His limbs were clammy and aching. The t-shirt was covered in all sorts of stains, none of them looked aesthetically pleasing. He knocked over a trash can and threw himself into a wall. "Fuckk..." He groaned and scrambled back to his feet. Accidently, he pressed his palms on shards of glass and sliced them open. Ruby red blood oozed out of the cut and slided down his forearm as he stood up. The pain was there but when adrenalin was pumping him full throttle, he couldn't care less. Limping and cursing, he dragged himself and continued toward the noise and crowds a block away.

Zhang Xi panted and gasped for a breath as he jumped over a box of some sort. From his fisted hand, the blood dripped, leaving a trail behind him. It was there. Just a few more. Just...He almost flung himself over a gate that emerged out of nowhere. There was a railroad separating him from the other side. The red lights on the gate flashed bright and a bell rung loud, alarming that a train was coming down full speed. He turned around to see that some of the men were catching up to him. "Fuck..." He climbed over the gate and rushed to the edge. The train was coming toward him, its headlights shone brightly on the rusted iron, the sound of its wheels grinding against the tracks was deafening. He could jump and risked getting sliced into pieces, or he could try running the opposite side and get caught with a bullet lodged somewhere in his body. Or.... he could jump and make it out alive.