Chapter - 42

There is a question all human ask. Why are they here? For what purpose do they exist? For what reasons do they keep on living and struggle every day? And what awaits them at the end of the road? If there is nothing but the end after this life, what is the purpose of being born into this world? What is the Grand Scheme? Is there even such grandiose meaning for our lives?

Hospitals are noisy. There is always someone who is in emergency, someone who is in pain, some who just face loss of a life and some who welcome a life into the world. No matter when, hospitals are place, quiet never visits.

With a cast on one arm and another on the leg which was suspended with a support, Luther laid asleep in an isolated unit of the emergency department. His open wounds were tended but the bruises still painted his pale face black and blue. His breathing was even as his chest rose and fell with each breath. There were two muscular men in suits stood guard beside his bed and a couple more on the outside. All the guards looked fierce with their massive figures blocking and scaring everyone away from the room.

The two guards inside the room stared at the patient on the bed with a troubled expression and sweat hanged on their shiny shaved heads. Under Dimitri's order, their main job was to guard Luther from dangers and situations exactly this one. They were careless since the usual Chinese gang members following Luther were nowhere to be found for a week. In their mind, they assumed because of the blow up in Macao, the Chinese finally gave up on their dirty schemes and let go of the young master. And only for a day, they took a break. That was when this happened.

Both of them glanced at each other and realized that Dimitri would have their skin if he heard this news. And they had no choice but to report this. So it was already certain their short lives would meet the end soon. One of them finally took out his phone and spoke in Russian, "Let stop stalling and report this mess, brother." The older one chewed the inside of his mouth for a few seconds before he nodded his head heavily and swallowed the fear stuck inside his throat. "But don't mention our trip to casino that day." "Of course, I won't. Who do you take me for? I at least want my poor mama receive my body intact." The older one nodded and started to pace around the small room, breathing heavily as if to make sure the anxiety vaporize into the air with each exhale.

The younger one contacted one of the group leaders since their level couldn't contact the head directly. After a very heated conversation, the younger one closed the phone. Colors visibly drained from his face. The older one looked at him eagerly to assess the situation but seeing his buddy's soul had left his body, he too slumped against the window. Well, it was short ride but at least he wouldn't be alone. He stared at the white ceiling and started to feel nostalgic. How he wished he went to see his new born baby a couple years back even if his ex wife hated his guts. How he wished he at least tried to act like a father even if his ex never allowed him anywhere near the baby. He sighed and took out a cigarette. Well, at least his baby's life wouldn't be stained by his existence. With that, he could say his life had some meaning. Although it didn't make sense, he had to think it this way. Otherwise, he was just a waste of space on this earth.

He opened the lighter and was about to light his cigarette but his partner slapped it out of his mouth. "What the fuck..." He was about to blow his top but stopped when he saw his spooked face up close. "What...what is wrong?" he asked and stuffed the lighter back in the pants. The younger one opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before he wiped his sweaty face with his palms. "...They already know. Apparently the people who brought young Luther to hospital contacted them last night and the boss already sent a team. They are on the way." The two stood in silent as they tried to wrap their mind around the new information. Who brought Luther to hospital? They previously tried to find out the information from the nurses but no one knew who came and dropped him in emergency room. And no one contacted them afterward so it was very suspicious and shady. They at least knew that.