Good Friends

Having worked most of her life as a maid/nanny, Estelle Wilson had spent a good portion of her time helping take care of other people's children; with Adele being the last and most treasured of them all. Adele's mother died three months after having her due to complications that arose during the pregnancy and subsequent birth. However, unlike with those other children, Estelle doesn't view raising Adele as being a job or chore...despite that at times it isn't an easy undergoing...but considers it to be more like an honor; or even blessing. Although her own daughter was taken away so early from her, she lives on through Adele. Fact of the matter is, even though some of her mannerisms can be attributed to her slight brain damage, a good part of Adele's childlike innocence, kindness and sweetness...and yes, even her naiveté...are traits passed on to her from her mother; and no one can tell Estelle otherwise.

One part of raising Adele is cooking for her. And though there are those who may think of cooking as a mundane task, Estelle finds great pleasure in it; especially when she's preparing some of her granddaughter's favorite foods...which she is currently doing.

An ambrosial aroma of traditional Southern cuisine pungently wafts through the kitchen, as Estelle fries fresh catfish, first dipped in buttermilk and then rolled in cornmeal, in a cast iron skillet containing a good inch-and-a-half or two of sizzling lard. Simmering on the back burner of the stove is a big pot of collard greens and black-eyed peas; with chunks of fat back thrown in for a heartier flavor. And in the oven, there's Grandma's famous cornbread; slowly baking to that perfect golden brown color and just right crispiness.

Estelle can hear Adele calling from the living room...

"Grandma...we're back. Where are you?"

"In the kitchen, Suga'bear."

Adele and Nadine enter, and without even thinking about it, their nostrils instinctively twitch as their noses draw in that enticingly delectable smell permeating the room.

While looking into the pan, keeping an eye on the frying fish, Estelle asks, "And how was the movie, girls?"

"We didn't see the movie, Grandma."

"Why not?"

"Because I didn't have money to buy a ticket."

Estelle, displaying a look of bafflement, turns around to face Adele. "What you mean, you didn't have money, Adele; I gave you five dollars."

Adele gradually lowers her head as she nervously tells her grandmother, "I...I...spent the money."

"Spent the money? On what?"

Adele hesitantly confesses, "Ice cream."

Estelle can't really get mad at her granddaughter, she just loves her too much for that; but she can become frustrated, or even disappointed with her,f rom time to time on occasion. This is apparently becoming one of those occasions.

Her voice noticeably rises, "Ice cream? You spent the money I gave you for the movies on ice cream? Adele..."

Fearing that Adele was in trouble over her good deed, Nadine feels obligated to come to her rescue by quickly interjecting, "Actually, Mrs. Wilson; it wasn't for herself. She bought it for some poor children who were being teased by other kids eating ice cream and flaunting it in front of their faces."

Estelle proudly smiles after turning back around to tend to the fish. "Well...I reckon that different then."

Adele happily informs her, "Yeah...and then Nadine bought me ice cream, Grandma."