Chapter 11

As the night went on, my mom and I talked

As the night went on, my mom and I talked. "So what's your power you mentioned earlier?" I asked. "It's a tracking gift. Kind of hard to explain but I have the ability to physically see someone's scent. I pick up their scent and it's sort of like I'm seeing them reenact their steps as if I was standing there watching but the people I'm watching are sort of misty. I can see what they were doing in that moment too. It's really cool" said my mom.

"Oh wow. So I can never sneak out on you?" I joked and she laughed. "Yeah. Carlos also has heightened tracking abilities. He can decipher exactly how far a person has traveled just from one spot and how far the scent goes" said my mom. "Where is Carlos now?" I asked. "He has a small apartment in town that he rents every now and then" said mom and I nodded.

"Is he like, your boyfriend?" I asked and a small smile formed on my moms face. "Uh yeah I guess you could say so. See mi amore, Carlos is not just my boyfriend, he's my mate for life. Once a vampire finds a mate, they won't ever love anyone else" said my mom. "Oh ok. Is he nice?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes. He's nothing like Rick was. He's kind, gentle, loving, funny. The opposite to Rick" my mom replied and I smiled. "I'm glad you've found someone who will treat you right" I said and she gave me a small smile. "Serena, I'm so sorry for everything I put you through these last few years. Everything with the drug abuse and Rick. I failed my job as a mother" said my mom as she shook her head.

"Mom-""No Serena. You were right in what you said last year. I did check out. I was selfish and I was too concerned about numbing my own pain after Charlotte's death that I didn't even think about you or what you were dealing with. I can never forgive myself for that ever" said my mom. "Mom, I forgive you. I didn't make things any easier. I made your job hard for you with the rebelling, sneaking out, bad attitude and all the arguments I would cause. We both played equal parts. But you are the healthiest and the happiest that I have ever seen you in a long time. People make mistakes. It's natural. I'm just glad to have you back as you. I know that Charlotte would be so proud of you and how far you have come" I said as I grabbed her hands, a tear slipping from my eye.

She leaned forward and wrapped me in a tight hug and I hugged her back. We pulled away and I gave a yawn. "It's time for you to get some sleep" said my mom as she pushed a strand of hair out of my face. "Good night mom" I said as I hugged her once more briefly before getting up and heading to my room.

The next morning, I awoke in my bed determined to find out if Edward was a vampire. I got dressed and walked downstairs where I saw a man speaking to my mom on the couch. My mom and the man turned to me and I saw his yellow eyes that matched my moms. He was tall with tan skin, dark brown hair and a five o'clock shadow beard on his face. "Serena! Good morning baby. How'd you sleep?" She asked as she stood up.

"Good" I replied and she smiled. "Serena, this is Carlos. Carlos, this is my daughter Serena" said mom and I looked back at the man as they walked over to me. "Dios mio! Serena it is so good to finally meet you! Your mother has told me so much about you" said Carlos as he gave me a brief hug and I smiled. "It's nice to meet you too" I replied.