Chapter 3

Over the next week Edward didn't show up to school at all

Over the next week Edward didn't show up to school at all. Every now and then, I would glance at his siblings and see them staring at me. It was strange to say the least. There was something off about them but I couldn't put my finger on it. The following Monday, I walked to biology with Eric.

"Prom committee is a chick thing but I gotta cover it for the paper anyway and they need a guy to choose some new music so I need your playlist, hey umm I was wondering, did you have a dat-""Serena! How you liking the rain girl? Better get used to it" said Mike as he shook his wet hat over my head and I giggled. "Hey Mike, real cute man" said Eric bitterly.

In a way I was kind of relieved that Mike had come in when he did. Don't get me wrong, Eric is a nice guy but he wasn't my type. As I looked around my eyes landed on the familiar mop of reddish brown hair sitting by the window and I saw Edward's topaz eyes staring into mine. I walked over to the desk and sat down in my seat placing my bag on the floor.

We sat in silence for a few moments before I saw Edward turn to me. "Hello. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself last week. I'm Edward Cullen" He said in a silky, mesmerising voice. "Ahh he speaks" I said after a few seconds and he gave a chuckle. "Nice to meet you Edward. I'm Serena Fernandez-Forge" I replied as I looked at him.

"Onion root tip cells. That's what's on your slides right now ok? So seperate and label them into the phases of mitosis and the first partners that get it right are gonna win...the golden onion" said Mr Molina as he held up a gold onion. "Ladies first" said Edward as he slid the microscope over to me. I grabbed the top of it and looked down at the slide.

"You were gone for a while. Did you get the flu or something?" I questioned as I looked at the slide identifying it to be prophase. "Yeah something like that" said Edward. "It's prophase" I said as I wrote it down on my paper. "Do you mind if I look?" said Edward and I shook my head as I pushed the microscope towards him.

"It's prophase" he said as he looked down at the slide before writing on his paper. "Like I said" I replied. "So are you enjoying the rain?" said Edward as he looked at me. "I don't mind the rain. I moved from Seattle to hear so it's not a big change" I replied as I looked to Edward. "Why did you move?" Edward asked as he slipped the new slide in and looked at it.

"Anaphase" He said and I wrote the answer down on my paper taking his word for. "Umm my mom is...Angelica Fernandez" I replied and Edward turning looking at me. "She's the woman that went missing a year ago in Seattle right?" Edward asked and I nodded as I pursed my lips. "Yeah. I had nowhere else to go so I live with my uncle here" I replied.

"I'm sorry about your mother" said Edward and I shrugged. "Thanks" I replied. "So I heard you and your family moved from Alaska a couple of years ago. How come?" I asked as I slid the new slide into the microscope. "My father is a doctor so we had to move because of his work" said Edward as I looked down at the slide. "Metaphase" I said as I wrote it down on my sheet.