Chapter 45

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like astronaut, president or in my case, a princess" Jess said causing chuckles to fill the room. "When we were ten they asked again. We answered, rockstar, cowboy or in my case, a gold medalist" said Jess and more chuckles filled the room.

"But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well how about this? Who the hell knows?" Jess said and everyone cheered as we clapped in response. "This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions. This is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love, a lot" Jess said and I giggled.

I blushed as I shook my head slightly. "Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind and change it again, because nothing's permanent. So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask what we want to be, we won't have to guess, we'll know" Jess finished before everyone applauded and cheered loudly.

After the ceremony. I found Edward and squealed as I ran to him. "I did it!" I exclaimed before I hugged him tightly as he lifted me off the ground slightly. He placed me down as he smiled at me. "I'm proud of you Serena" said Edward and I leaned up pressing my lips to his. "I love you" I said. "I love you more" he replied before we headed outside where our families were waiting.

I saw my mom and when she saw me, her smile widened. I ran to her and she wrapped her arms around me. We pulled away and she cupped my cheeks in her hands as she looked at me. "Oh my God Serena! I'm so so proud of you bebita!" She said a she let out a dry sob. The tears built in my own eyes before I hugged my mom once more.

"Charlotte would be so proud of you" my mom whispered in my ear and I nodded as a tear fell. We pulled away and I wiped my face as my mom got out her camera. "Ok let me get a photo Serena" said my mom and I nodded. "Wait!" I said before I grabbed my bag and pulled out a photo of Charlotte. I stood back holding up the photo and diploma as I smiled.

My mom took the photo before turning to Edward. "Edward, I want a photo of you and Serena" said my mom as I placed the photo back in my bag.

Later that night, I was stood in Alice's room in front of her mirror. "Are you sure it looks alright?" I asked as looked at the right strappy navy blue dress Alice had let me borrow for the night. "Serena you look amazing!" said Alice. "Ok" I said before slipping on my black heels. My hair was down and straight and I had some simple gold hoop earrings in.

I stood up off of Alice's bed as she finished tying the bow in her hair. "Go ahead without me. I'll be down shortly" said Alice and I nodded before walking downstairs. I got to the bottom where I saw people dancing and talking amongst themselves. "Serena!" I heard someone call and turned to see Mike walking over to me, a huge grin on his face.

"We made it out of that hell hole they call school!" said Mike as he stopped in front of me and I giggled. "So what are your plans now?" Mike asked. "Umm I'm going to college in Alaska to study psychology" I replied and Mike nodded. "What made you choose Alaska?" he asked and I shrugged.

"I really liked the school and my moms moving their next year so it was easy" I said and Mike nodded once more. "And what about Cullen?" said Mike. "He's going to the college with me" I said and watched as Mike's face dropped. "Oh umm nice. I remember my dad always told me, never go to college with a girlfriend. It'll just make things complicated" said Mike.

"Are you gonna break up with Jess?" I asked as I squinted my eyebrows at him. "I don't know. I think it'll work out best for both of us" said Mike as he scratched the back of his neck. "But umm if you return to town during a break in college, give me a call and we can catch for coffee or a movie or-""There you are. I've been looking all over for you" I heard Edward say as I felt his arm snake around my waist.

"Hi" I said as I pecked his cheek. Mike cleared his throat as he stood up straighter. "Umm it was good seeing you Serena and all the best for uh Alaska" said Mike as he looked between Edward and I. "Thanks Mike" I said before he turned and walked off. I smiled as I turned to Edward who was smirking. "Thanks for saving me" I said and Edward chuckled.

"His thoughts were pretty loud" said Edward and I laughed. I felt Edward stiffen and looked behind him to see Jacob, Embry and another Quileute boy behind them. "What are they doing here?" I asked. "Alice didn't invite them" said Edward. "Bella must've" I replied. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alice making her way down the stairs when she froze.

"Alice is having a vision" I said before walking over to her, Edward following in toe. "Alice? What'd you see?" Bella said as she stood beside me. "The decisions been made" Alice said. "What's going on?" Jacob asked as he walked over. "You're not going to Seattle are you" I stated.

"No. They're coming here" Alice said. Within moments the Cullen's and Jacob's gang were out on the balcony. "They'll be here in four days" Alice said as she stood beside Jasper. "This could turn into a blood bath" Carlisle said as he leaned against the table. "Who's behind it?" Edward asked as he turned to Alice.

"I didn't see anyone I recognised. Maybe one" said Alice. "I know his face. He's local. Riley Biers. He didn't start this" said Edward as he shook his head from beside me. "Whoever did is staying out of the action" Alice replied. "They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision" Carlisle said as he looked at Alice.

"Either way, the army is coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town" Jasper spoke up. "Hold up. What damn army?" said Jacob. "Newborns. Our kind" replied Carlisle as he looked at Jacob. "What are they after?" asked Embry. "They were passing around the girls scent. A red blouse and a purple shirt" Alice replied.

"That's what the intruder was after. Something with my scent" I said as it clicked in my mind. "They're after Bella and Serena? What the hell does this mean?" Jacob questioned. "It means an ugly fight with lives lost" Carlisle replied and I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair. Jacob turned to Quill and Embry who gave him a nod. "Alright. We're in" Jacob said.

"No. You'll get yourselves killed. No way" Bella spoke up from beside Christopher. "I wasn't asking for permission" Jacob replied as he looked to Bella. "Chris?" Bella said as she turned to him. "As much as I hate it, it would mean more protection for you and Serena" Christopher said as he looked from Bella to me.

"Jacob, do you believe sam would agree to an understanding?" Carlisle asked. "As long as we get to kill some vampires" Jacob replied and I rolled my eyes at him. "Jasper?" Carlisle said. "They'll give us the numbers. Newborns won't know they even exist. That'll give us an edge" Jasper replied as he looked at the three boys. "We'll need to coordinate" said Carlisle as he stood up straight.

"Carlisle! They're gonna get hurt!" Bella protested as she rose from her spot. "We'll all need some training. Fighting newborns requires the knowledge Jasper has. You're welcome to join us" Carlisle said to Jacob, ignoring Bella. "Alight. Name the time and place" Jacob agreed. "Jake, you don't know what you're getting yourself into" Bella pleaded.

"Bella, this is what we do. You should be happy. Look at us, working together. You are the one who wanted us to get along remember?" Jacob said as he looked at her.