chapter 3

"Intriguing, isn't it? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?" Remus asked.

I was about to answer but Dean did before me.

"That's a boggart, that is"

"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" Lupin asked.

I raise my hand and am about to answer, but again, someone does it before me.

"No one knows" Hermione said.

"When did she get here?" Ron asked.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so-" Hermione continued.

"So terrifying, yes, yes, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands, please. After me. Riddikulus!" Remus said.

"Riddikulus!" we all repeated.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen: Riddikulus!" Remus repeated.

"Riddikulus!" we all repeated again.

"This class is ridiculous" I heard Draco say and I rolled my eyes.

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Uh... Neville, would you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy. Come on. Come on. Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Remus asked.

"Professor Snape" Neville said quietly as everyone laughed.

"Sorry?" Remus asked.

"Professor Snape" Neville repeated.

"Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother" Remus said.

"Y- yes but I don't want that boggart to turn into her, either" Neville said.

"No... it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind" Remus said.

"She carries a red handbag-" Neville started but Remus stopped him.

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do. Excuse me" Remus whispered into Neville's ear "Can you do that? Yes. Wand at the ready. One, two, three. Think, Neville, think" Remus encouraged.

"Riddikulus!" Neville yelled, shooting the spell at the boggart.

The Snape-lookimg boggart steps back and changes clothes. It wears a dark green dress, a furry green coat on top, a green hat with a culture on it and a bright red hand bag slinked on his arm. I chuckle.

"Wonderful, Neville, wonderful! Incredible! Okay... to the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line! Form a line!" Remus said and everyone formed into a line, me near the front and Bucky in front of me "I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most... and turn it into something funny. Next! Ron!" Remus put on some music "Concentrate. Face your fear. Be brave! Wand at the ready, Ron, wand at the ready" Remus encouraged.

"Riddikulus!" Ron yelled.

The black widow spider had roller skates, tripping and falling on them.

"Yes! You see? Very good, very good! Marvellous! Absolutely, very, very enjoyable! Parvati! Next! Show us what you see. Keep your nerve. Steady" Remus said.

"Riddikulus!" Parvati yelled, making a giant snake turn into a Jack in the box.

"And next! Step up, step up! Wonderful, wonderful! Bucky! Let's see" Remus said.