Rusty Tennis Skills

While we are all sitting on the couch on our phones, I suggest, "We should play tennis!" Kendall and Prescott nod with much less excitement, but Jack looks at me in disgust.

I frown. "Come on Jack! It'll be fun! I haven't played tennis since before I left," I beg.

Jack sighs, "Fine, I'll play."

I smile widely and shout, "Thank you!" as we stand up from the couch. Prescott and Jack get the rackets and balls from the garage while I ask Kendall, "Is Leo coming over?"

Kendall shakes her head, "No, he's with his family. But it's better this way because now there is an even four." I nod and go upstairs to get changed.

When I get downstairs again, I am wearing a navy top with a white skirt, and Kendall is wearing a white top with a navy skirt, so of course we have to talk about that for a moment. But then we fill up water bottles and join the boys on the courts. We have tennis courts in our backyard but only because our dad was a professional tennis player in his prime, so it is kind of expected. Now he runs part of the business, but his job used to be interesting.

The boys sigh when they see us, "Finally," they both mutter in sync. Kendall and I laugh as we pick up our rackets.

"Let's warm up first, then we can play doubles." I say while walking into the court. The racket already feels familiar in my hand. 

We start warming up and I miss a few easy ones, but that is to be expected since I haven't played in so long.

Eventually we feel pretty good and start a set. Kendall and I lost the first game but won the second. This third game determines it all. We are at duces and it's Jack's serve. 

I return his serve and it hits the line, and Prescott couldn't get it in time! Yes! Okay, add out. We got this. Kendall just can't let him score on her.
He serves, and she hits it back, Then he hits it to me. I return it. We continue hitting and returning for some time until I slam it on Jack. He misses it.

Kendall and I scream so loud. "In your face Jack!" I scream while Jack smiles at me in amusement.

"I haven't played in like a year and I still beat you!" I yell at Jack again. He takes my trash talk like a pro though. It annoys me that he is smiling though.

We get some water. Kendall says, "Let's do new teams." We all agree. Jack says first, "I'll take MC." Prescott and Kendall nod and start to walk over to the other side of the court. My eyebrows had raised when he said my name and still are.

While Jack and I walk over, I joke with him, "You just want to win, right? And you know that you can win with me." 

Jack smiles in amusement again, "Sure." I'm going to have to use my annoyance to play better. 

We play another set. Jack and I won the first game, but lost the second. Again, it is all up to this third game. 

It's Prescott's serve and it's 30-40, so if he makes this, he will win. This is all up to me. He serves and we volley it for a while until he hits one really far up and I don't make it in time.

Prescott and Kendall start cheering loudly. I walk closer to the front of the net where Jack is. "Good job guys," I say to them, trying not to sound like a horrible loser. 

I whisper, "Sorry Jack," as I start to walk off to my water. I actually feel really disappointed in myself. I know I'm the best tennis player there. I have been playing with my dad since the age of like five.

Jack smiles, "Don't worry about it." Man, he really matured this year. Last year, he would have been so mad at me. He would have at least made fun of me for a little while.

I stop in my tracks. "Wow, you're not mad that I missed it." 

"It's just a game MC. Not everyone is as competitive as you are." Jack smirks. I wish people were though. The world would be way more fun. 

After we practice volleying some more, we all agree to head inside. I am exhausted and really sweaty. I go straight to my room and shower.

I change into a t-shirt and athletic shorts afterward, before heading downstairs. Everyone is there but Kendall, who is still in the shower. We all stand there in the kitchen.

"I'm hungry," Prescott says.

"Yeah, me too," I say.

"I think he wants you to make food MC," Jack says with a smirk. He puts his hands behind his head to get comfortable.

I laugh, "Trust me, he doesn't. I can't cook to save my life. Let's wait for Kendall."

They both nod reluctantly then we all plop onto the couch until we hear her door open.

"Kendall! Make us food!" I shout as I turn around to see her walking into the kitchen.

"Fine, but I have a favor to ask from you." Kendall says as she starts digging in the pantry.

"What?" I ask getting off the couch.

"So, I posted a pic of all of us playing tennis on snapchat, which I told you about, but now, everyone knows you are back in town. And one of our friends is having a party tomorrow and everyone wants us to come. Can you please grace us with your appearance?" Kendall pleads.

"Which friend and why? And why is it on a Monday?" I ask nonchalantly, except for that last part which really confuses me. I watch as she takes some ingredients out of the fridge.

"It's Mark's party. And everyone wants you there because everyone misses you. As for the Monday thing, I guess that is because during summer there is a party like every night." Kendall answers as she fills a pot with water.

"Ugh, I'd rather not." The thought of seeing everyone I left behind is not exactly making me ever want to leave the house again. 

Jack laughs at my response but Kendall is definitely not laughing. "Please MC! Everyone wants you there. Literally everyone. And I know you will have fun."

"Fine, but if I get in trouble for anything, I'm blaming you. You know that I am under a microscope right now." I say with a sigh. I left a key detail out that she should probably know about- my parents won't let me leave the house.

Kendall yells, "Thank you! You won't get in trouble I promise!"