LVIII

I wake up to Kendall gently brushing my face. "Morning MC," she whispers. "Guess who's here?"

I rub my eyes and furrow my brows. She gently laughs at my confusion. "Your parents are here. Jack's here too, I'm sorry about that."

I sigh and cover my face, wishing this nightmare could be over. I slowly get out of bed anyway and make my way to the restroom.

I walk downstairs with a skirt and button down top. I tried to do my hair but the waves do what they want. My mom sees me and stands up. "Mary Cate!" As I get closer, she says, "Happy birthday!" She hugs me tightly. I wish I could just stay here forever.

Then my dad walks over. My mom and I let go so that I can hug him. 

My mom says, "Let's take you out to eat! Where do you want to go?"

"Um, how about that brunch place next to the movies?"

"That's perfect! Jack, you're coming right?"

He said no, thank goodness. I spent the day with my family. I consider Kendall part of my family. It's really fun to be honest. It gives me an insight on what life I could have had. If my parents didn't take that job. If their parents hadn't taken that job.

Whatever, this is the life I live. I've got to get over that dream right?

The only issue with this life is the boys that I have surrounded myself with. Not to be dramatic, but they literally placed a bet on my love life. The boys I trusted the most too. Besides Prescott. He still remains good in my eyes. He hasn't done anything wrong since the beginning of the summer. That's old news.

A few days go by and you know what, my head has been clearer than ever. I feel almost like a new person. After I realized that everyone in my life was lying to me other than my best friend and brother, I realized that I had nothing to lose. I figured this out only because I posted an Instagram post that was literally a selfie of my face and it was my most liked and most commented on post yet. I think I'm untouchable in everyone's eyes now, and I love that.

In my daze, I decide to invite Jack and Mark to lunch. I have some loose ends to tie up. I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about this one, but my head is in the clouds, so I must do it now.

Kendall helps me get ready. I put on a skirt and a cute top and some tennis shoes. Kendall says it's a "cute" outfit but not a cute outfit. I think it's perfect because it is cute, and I want to make sure that those two boys know who they hurt.

I make sure to show up twenty minutes late. It's a power move. When I walk in, they are both staring at me. It's kinda funny actually. They both look so desperate to see if I'd show.

I sit down slowly and say, "I'm glad you both realized that this table was for three."

Mark clears his throat, "This isn't like you."

I look up as I smile then look back to their faces, "People typically change after huge conflicts happen in their lives. I'm no exception."

They both just look at me. I clear my own throat, "Did you guys already order?"

They both shake their heads, "What do you guys want? My treat."

"We're not letting you pay for our food," Jack says quietly.

"Fine, I don't care who pays. I just want food." I stand up, and they both follow my lead. When I order my BLT, they both go to order next. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds.

"I got it," Jack says.

"No, I can get it," Mark says.

Jack repeats quieter but more stern, "I got it." Mark backs off after that.