Unattended Party

I had a dream, or rather a nightmare, about my days at boarding school. It is a very ancient school with leaks and mold in most corners. Maybe that is the reason why I put a gloomy tint over anything that happened there. 

I got in trouble quite often for obvious reasons, I'd say. The detentions don't sound terrible, but they were. I think it was the phycological aspect of it that really got to me. They would make them Friday and Saturday nights, which are the only times that you could do anything fun. You knew that all of your friends were having fun and yet you were sitting in a classroom doing nothing of importance. 

That dream was an awful start to my day. I walked downstairs to an empty kitchen. It's a gloomy day outside. The clouds seem to be shading the sun from getting into our windows. 

Eventually everyone wakes up and joins me on the couch. Kendall takes the liberty to make us potatoes for breakfast. I cozy up in a blanket and laugh mindless at the tv. 

We hear a knock on the door shortly after Prescott's leaving to his friend's house. Kendall goes to open it, since she's already standing up. As the door slides open, I recognize that familiar football player. 

"Hey guys, what's up?" he says casually. He walks into the living room but stays close to the door. He's in sweatpants, so I'm guessing he came straight from his house. 

We all say, "Nothing," as he sits down on the couch. 

We chat for a while about silly things. Mark brings up a party that is happening on Friday but adds, "But don't feel like you have to go, I know you're not allowed to leave the house." 

I raise my eyebrows. "Yeah, I just got in huge trouble for going to the beach house, so I'm gonna skip this one." I notice him leaning in to hear me clearer. 

Everyone takes my side, saying they won't go without me, but I keep shaking my head. I tell them that they should go. They probably won't even notice that I'm not there after thirty minutes.

Kendall replies, "It won't be fun without you."

I confidently say, "Yes, it will." I turn to face Mark and announce, "They'll be there." He's still leaning toward me. 

He smiles as we make eye contact. He stands up and says, "I should probably go home, my parents flew in today." I guess he didn't come from his house.

We all stand up with him. We linger a little longer than normal as we hug. Once goodbyes are exchanged, he heads out. 

The next morning, as I am eating fruit, I remember the whole Mark thing. Even though Prescott is still slightly mad at me, I bring up the party topic. "You guys are going to the party, right?"

Kendall answers immediately, "Of course not. We are not going anywhere without you."

I sigh internally. "You are going to make an exception."

Jack buds in, "Usually I'm down for a party, but I'm not in the mood today."

"Tough, because you're going." I say flatly. We exchange glances, but I can't read his expression. His face is cold. 

I went up to my room when I finished eating. Kendall came in a few minutes after I slumped onto my bed. As she sits on my bed, she says with no hesitation, "Why do you want us to go so badly?"

I turn to face her but say nothing. My mouth is almost in a full frown. She should know why I want her going. 

"Don't do that." Her eyes soften.