First Party

Jack and I watched tv until Kendall came home around 4. Kendall came in and said, "Where did you guys go earlier?"

"Jack forced me to drive him somewhere. So I went to Chick-fil-a." I say, eyeing Jack. His grin grows.

"Didn't your parents say you weren't allowed to drive or leave the house?" Kendall asks as she sets her keys down. 

"Yes, they did," I answer staring at Jack, who is pretending to not hear our conversation even though I can see a big smile on his face. He looks down at the couch, thinking that would mask it. 

Kendall walks behind him and shakes her hand through his hair, making it look messier. This finally catches his attention. "Kendall, what the hell?!" he shouts as he fixes it. Kendall and I laugh with each other.

"Parties at 7, so be ready by then," Kendall announces. I sigh quietly, hoping she doesn't hear. I feel like I have broken enough rules today.

By 6:30, I start getting really hungry and make a sandwich with vegetables. Jack grabs a bag of chips and eats them on a stool by the island. I sit next to him and start eating.

"You're just as healthy as Kendall," he scoffs.

"It's the only thing here," I defend myself.

"How was the food at boarding school?" he asks.

"Pretty awful. I lost ten pounds because their food was nasty." I say bitterly. I do not have ten pounds to lose already.

"Shoot. That sucks Wendorf," he mutters.

I nod and finish my sandwich. Kendall joins us and says, "There will be food there, MC."

I reason, "Just in case they don't have food I want." Then I add, "So what time are we leaving?"

Kendall says, "Let's leave at 7:15, so we aren't too late."

We all nod then I go upstairs to get ready. Kendall said everyone is wearing skirts with a cute top so I guess I'll just follow that.

I pick out a small black skirt and a simple white top. I take my air maxes out of my closet too and start changing.

After I change, I brush my hair and put on some mascara. I hate taking off makeup so I never really put much on. My hair naturally falls wavy so I don't do anything to it. I hope Mark is telling the truth when he says it was lowkey but something tells me it won't be.

At 7:10, I walk downstairs and see Kendall, Jack, and Leo waiting for me.

Kendall is wearing a red skirt with a white top and blazers. She says, "You look cute!" as I get to the bottom.

"Thanks, you too," I say unenthusiastically. She looks good- I am just really starting to regret saying yes. My stomach is getting really nervous. That sandwich might start coming up. 

We all head to Leo's GMC. He drives us like five minutes further into our neighborhood. When I see Mark's house, I already know this isn't lowkey. There are dozens of cars parked along the street and I see a bunch of teens walking in.

Leo parks his car, then we all start walking down the street to Mark's. I feel a lump in my throat.

As soon as I come in, a lot of people's eyes turn to me. There is really loud music blaring in my ears, but I hear Mark shout, "MC! You made it!" as he hugs me. 

I put on my nice face, prepared to keep it there all night, "Hey Mark!" I shout.

When Mark walks away, Jack whispers, "It's not too late to leave." I stare at him and say flatly, "It kind of is." Then Kendall pulls my arm toward a group of people.