Fighting Or Flighting

I don't know how much time passes of me beating myself up, but I thought Mark would have at least tried to talk to me by now. I haven't heard any knocks or anything. I look out the window and squint, realizing how dark it is in my house. Through their window, I see Jack and Mark beating each other up! Crap! I stand up and walk closer to my window to see them any clearer. Everyone is recording them or trying to stop. I don't see Kendall in there. Crap!

I know I should go in there but I can't move. I'm frozen, just staring at them. Their friends pull them off of each other. I can't fully see, but it looks like they dodged the coffee table. They better have.

I watch them start to calm down. They both don't look like they are in good shape. I can't believe this. Finally, I see Kendall and Leo run inside and I can see her yelling. Probably at Jack. Slowly, everyone starts leaving their house. I guess she told them to leave.

What do I do? Should I go over there? If I see Jack, will I punch him again myself?

I don't have to ask any more questions, I see Kendall helping Mark out of their house. I stare as they walk to my door. She knocks, rather than trying to type in the password. I walk over with guilt plastered all over my face.

"Oh my gosh," I say, as I get a better look at Mark's beat up face. He's bleeding next to his eye and lip.

Kendall sighs, "Can you clean him up while we deal with Jack?"

I nod, "Of course," as I help Mark in. Kendall shuts the door as she leaves. I finally turn on the lights and sit him on the couch.

I wet some wash cloths and get the first aid kit out from under the sink. I'm glad we still have that. I walk back over and sit down next to him as I open the kit.

"I have no idea how to do this, but I think the alcohol comes first," I say looking through the stuff in the first aid kit. I really wish I had more experience doing this.

My hands were shaking, which he must have noticed because he puts his hand on mine. I look up and make eye contact with him. He slowly smiles, "Relax. You have to clean the cuts first."

"Right," I say as I grab the wet washcloth. "This is going to be painful," I say, unsure if I should have said that or not. He doesn't look worried, which calms me a little bit.

I stare at the cut on his right eye for a long time, stalling for time. Then I lean over and start dabbing it with the wash cloth. I notice him flinch, but he doesn't say anything. I dab it many times until I don't see any more blood.

I lean back to get a look from further away, "Okay, so the alcohol's next?" I ask.

He nods. I take the bottle out of the kit and pour some on the dry wash cloth. Then I quickly start dabbing it on his cut. This time he exhales, clearly in pain. I continue, trying to keep my hands steady.

I lean back again and say, "Okay, I think that one's good." Then I go back into the kit and grab some thin strip band-aids to put on top. This parts easy though.

When I finish bandaging his eye, I lean back again so I can make sure I made the bandages even. They look good to me. I didn't realize before but it's so quiet in here. All I can hear are the sounds of us breathing.

"Looks good," I mumble. I finally look in Mark's eyes and realize he's staring at me. I guess there's no where else he can look, but it feels a little weird.

I grab the wet wash cloth and start dabbing the side of his bottom lip. He winces a little, but I'm sure his lip hurts a lot less than his eye. Then I take some more alcohol and dab it on. He grabs my hand and holds it for a second. "Sorry!" I say, scared that that really hurt him.