Drive Home (Season 3 Episode 3 Continuation)

"Are you happy?" Olivia's voice echoed in his head. He stood their looking at her when in the first time, in a long time he really thought about his own mental health. He'd been worried about everyone else's problems, he never really thought about his own happiness. He stayed quiet letting the words sink in. She asked him again. "Spence, are you happy?". He stumbled over his thoughts trying to find the right words to tell her, that he really hasn't been happy. How could he be happy when the world around him had fell apart. Olivia and him were barely speaking, Jordan couldn't face him, the first game of the season was tomorrow, and Coop still pried on finding the truth about Mo.

Clearing his throat he'd thought back to the last time he'd truly been happy. Flashing back to dancing with Olivia wrapped in his arms, back in Las Vegas, had been his happiest he'd been in a while. Not worrying about anyone else except for being in the moment, just him and her under the dim lights of the hotel restaurant. A hint of a smile appeared on the corner of his mouth when he glanced back to her shaking his head. The sadness in his eyes tore Olivia knowing he hadn't been happy for a while. With summer, and everything he'd been dealing with, had been weighing on him. He didn't have to say a word and she knew exactly what he'd been thinking. A sad smile appeared on her lips leaning on the pool stick she gazed into his eyes, taking a deep breath. They didn't have to say a word, to know how the other had been feeling.

"How about this pool game?" she smiled when he sighed not in the mood to play anymore. But he wanted any time he could get to be around her. He shrugged racking the balls when she walked back over to the other side of the pool table. He lined up the balls before removing the rack and placing it on the side. "No do over's this time" he softly spoke when Olivia leaned in for the shot before catching his gaze. "Thanks but I think I'm good. That's weird because suddenly I'm actually really good at pool" she said looking back down to the table lining up her shot. She striked the solid yellow ball scattering all the rest,making four stripes into the pockets. Spencer cracked a smile shaking his head. "I've been played" he said meeting Olivia's gaze. "Seems like it" she shot him a smile before making a few more.

Layla slowly walked up interalcing her hands in Spencer's when Olivia's smile faded looking at her hands in his. "I call next" she smiled when Olivia shrugged. "Layla do you even know how to play?" she asked when Layla smiled. "Yeah, actually I do. If not Spence can teach me" she nudged him when Spencer held onto the pool stick with both of his hands. Clearing his throat he nodded. "Yeah, I can, but apparently Olivia might be a better teacher" he said quickly gazing back to Olivia than down to the table. "I see, then maybe Olivia can teach me" she shot a smile at Olivia when she shrugged. "Yeah, maybe" Olivia said lining up her shot before making a few more, this time more aggressively. Feeling a hand on her back she turned to see Asher standing next to her. "Hey it looks like your cleaning house" he smiled looking around the restaurant to catch Vanessa leaving out the door with JJ. "Yeah, seems like it" she sighed facing towards him. "Are you ready to leave soon? Maybe we can catch the rest of the movie you wanted to see?" he asked taking a sip of his drink turning back towards her. " Yeah if your ready, then let's go" she sighed when he nodded.

"Hey this has been fun, and sorry again for crashing your double date" Asher said clasping Spencers hand. "Hey, no problem. Hows the new coach treating you?" he asked when Asher shrugged. "She's tough. You dodged a bullet, man. But I'm hoping soon she'll give me a chance. Maybe just in time to whoop your butt?" he shrugged when Spencer shook his head catching Olivia's gaze. "Keep dreaming. But first you gotta be apart of the team, before ever thinking about facing me" Spencer said when Asher cracked a smile. "I'm working on it" he said. "I'll see you guys later then?" Olivia smiled at the both of them, letting her eyes linger on Spencers. "See you later" Spencer spoke softly. "See you tomorrow at school. maybe we can have lunch?" Layla asked when Olivia shrugged. Asher interlaced his hands in hers pulling her away from both Spencer and Layla. "Yeah, maybe. I'll let you know" she said catching Spencers gaze for the last time. Giving him a hint of a smile, she turned back around leaving the restaurant.

"Hey, you ready to leave?" Spencer asked putting the pool stick back in it's place when Layla pulled him to face her. Leaning against the pool table, she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I do remember calling next" gazing into his eyes he smiled. "My bad, I didn't know you were serious" leaning in to kiss her. "But I'm serious about the teaching me part. I wouldn't want the ball to go through that window" she said pointing when Spencer turned. Letting out a laugh he nodded. "Deal".

The ride back to Crenshaw had been quiet which even made Layla more nervous. He didn't hold her hand, or even look at her once. Uncomfortable in her seat, she adjusted herself a few times when, he hadn't noticed. His eyes were fixated outside the window, watching the city blur past him. Layla thought back to the restaurant seeing Spencer and Olivia together. Shaking her head, she sighed knowing her mind had been playing tricks on her again. They'd been close friends and nothing more.

She had even thought that with them living together, they'd been cordial before. Why would she be overreacting when they are in different cities, in different schools, and barely see each other anymore. She had no reason to believe they would be anything more than friends. But her gut had told her otherwise. Playing a mind game on her and making up scenarios of all the possibilities for them to have grown apart. They'd blame it on distance but that hasnt stopped them before. Turning up the music, she'd hoped that would cause a distraction which it only made her fall deeper into her thoughts. Arriving at Spencer's, Layla parked the car when Spencer finally glanced back at her catching her gaze. Forcing a smile, he sighed. "You want to come inside for a while?" he asked when she smiled. "I'd like that".