A Bond That Can Never Be Broken

The savory smell of roasted chicken and potatoes filled the air. Reminding Laura of her mother's cooking. Reminiscing back to when she had been a child, peeling the potatoes. Listening to her mother sing and dance across the kitchen. Laura has never been a cook and Billy would always laugh when her friends would come over thinking the food on their plates were homemade. When in reality ten minutes before they arrived she threw out the take-out containers. But recently after separating from Billy, Laura had felt the need to keep the tradition of family dinners. Forcing herself to cook at least once a week. Billy would take care of the rest of the meals and just like clockwork, the front door opened. Walking to the kitchen Billy slowed to a stop closing his eyes and smiled.

 "Food will be ready in a few. Want a glass of wine? We have chardonnay or merlot. Seems like I'm out of sauvignon blanc. That's weird I thought I had just bought a bottle" Laura said. Confused she checked the cupboards, confused as to how the bottle seemed to have disappeared. "Any of those are fine, my question is when did you start to cook? Because I remember just a few months ago, take out Tuesdays was a thing?" Billy asked when Laura grinned. "I guess I picked up a few skills since being separated. This was my favorite meal from my mother's and I was craving it these past few days. Thought to surprise you...guys" Laura trailed off. 

Pouring two glasses of wine, the oven timer dinged when Billy and Laura both quickly rushed over to take the food out. Gripping onto the handlebar Laura placed her hand over his. "Don't you worry the least I can do is help out" Billy smiled. "Thank you" Laura sighed. Taking out the food Billies mouth began to water the moment all the flavors were released with the steam from the chicken and potatoes. 

"You've outdone yourself Laura" Billy smiled turning to meet her eyes. "Don't be so surprised until you try it. Looks and smells can be deceiving" She smiled when he nodded. "Remember the time you tried to cook a Thanksgiving meal when we were first married. I believe it was actually our first year together and we couldn't travel because of the storm. You took it on yourself to cook a whole four-course meal all by yourself" Billy laughed. Laura shook her head remembering their home had been filled with smoke. 

"It was a disaster. That was the day we'd promise to just order take out" Laura smiled. "It was a good thing. Our power went out and we made it the best we could have done. Board games, wine, and candles all over our living room" Billy sighed taking a hold of the food walking over to the dining room. "Hey, Billy?" Laura asked. "Yeah?" he answered. "Thanks for reminding me. It's good to remember all of the good memories we've had" Laura smiled leaning on her counter. "Your welcome" Billy said letting their eyes linger on each other for a long moment. Breaking her gaze, Laura cleared her throat. 

"Jordan, Olivia, dinner is ready!" Laura yelled. Moments later footsteps rushed down the stairs when she turned to see Jordan walking towards her. "Where's your sister?" Laura asked. "She's finishing up her hair" Jordan groaned. "I still don't understand why Simone couldn't come over?" Jordan continued. "Honey, you know at least once a week we like to have family dinner with just the four of us," Laura said squeezing his shoulder. Jordan groaned annoyed. "Can you grab two glasses for you and your sister? I'm going to go check on Olivia" Laura continued. 

Placing her wine glass on the counter, making her way up the stairs to Olivia's bedroom. Stopping at the doorway, Laura's mouth parted slightly surprised to see Olivia had been straightening her hair. She hadn't seen her daughter's hair straightened in a while, remembering back to when Olivia had been drinking and taking drugs. Clearing her throat, Olivia met her mother's eyes through the reflection of the mirror. "Need some help?" Laura asked. "If you want to," Olivia said. Laura walked over while Olivia handed over the straightener to her mother. Finishing the rest of Olivia's hair the both of the them had stayed silent for a moment when Laura sighed. 

"It's just...I haven't seen your hair straight in a long while" Laura said. Her mind kept flashing back to almost two years ago just before Olivia had been checked into rehab. "Just wanted a change" Olivia softly spoke. Crossing her arms, Laura nodded. "If you need to talk..."Laura trailed off when Olivia interrupted her. "Mom, I'm fine really" Olivia caught her mother's stare through the reflection. 

"Okay, but if you want to, you know I'm always here" Laura smiled. "I know" Olivia softly spoke closing her eyes. "All finished. How about the two of us go downstairs before the boys get riled up in their football talk?" Laura asked when Olivia let out a smile. "From how loud they're talking, I think it might be too late,". Walking back over to the bedroom door, Laura turned back to Olivia. "You coming?" Laura asked when Olivia smiled. "In a minute". "Okay well don't take too long, wouldn't want the food to get cold". 

The dinner table had been quiet as the four of them ate their food in silence. Laura's mind had been distracted thinking of Olivia and her hair straightened. She couldn't shake the feeling she had felt. Trying to ease her mind that she had already tested her daughter for drugs, and everything came back negative, yet as she sat across from Olivia, she could tell something had been bothering her. Laura cleared her throat putting her fork down on the plate when the three of them turned to look at her. "Your father and I were talking today and we know how stressful life and school could be. So we were thinking that the both of you should take the day off from school tomorrow to spend it together. We just feel it would be beneficial for both of you. Think of it as Senior twin ditch day" Laura smiled. Billy looked at her confused when Both Olivia and Jordan looked at each other. 

"What's the trick? Grandma's coming over?" Jordan asked. Olivia jabbed him in the ribs. "Ouch what was that for?" Jordan continued. "Way to be insensitive," Olivia said. "There is no catch and no one's coming to town. We just thought it would be best for the both of you to spend some time together. Olivia's been so busy with Asher, volunteering, and school. While Jordan's been busy with Simone, GW, and football. I just don't want the both of you to grow apart, that's all. We just think you both need it, right Billy?" Laura turned towards him elbowing his arm. Clearing his throat he was confused when Laura nodded towards their children. "Right, some twin bonding will be good for the both of you. Just make sure to be back before practice" Billy said when Laura jabbed him. "Or not, take the whole day to spend together. I'll even give you guys money to go shopping and get something nice" Billy grunted reaching into his wallet. 

"Wow, thanks mom and dad, we don't know what to say? Are you both getting a divorce?" Jordan joked when both Billy and Laura glared at him. "Too soon?" Jordan continued. Olivia jabbed him in the ribs again. "Too soon Jordan. Take the money and shut up" Olivia whispered. Turning towards her parents, she smiled. 

"What about school?" Olivia continued. "Already taken care of" Laura smiled. "I need to call Simone telling her I can't pick her up" Jordan fumbled for his phone leaving the dinner table. "Baby, I'm sorry but I won't be able to take you to school in the morning," Jordan said. Walking back into the home, Billy and Laura both looked at each other. "That boy is definitely in love. I wouldn't be surprised if he would propose soon" Billy joked when Olivia spit out her water. Her parents both looked in her direction when she excused herself. "Yeah, I should go call Asher too," Olivia said leaving the table. 

"And then there were two" Laura smiled clinking their wine glasses together. "So are you going to tell me what all of that was about?" Billy asked. Laura sighed. "How about I tell you over dessert?" she asked. "Did you make that too, because we may have to rethink this separation" Billy joked. Laura let out a laugh. "Sorry to break your heart Billy. This one is store-bought, unfortunately" Laura said. "That's too bad," Billy said when he met her eyes. The both of them walked back over to the kitchen taking out the dessert from the refrigerator, Laura sighed. Checking to see if the coast had been clear. Drinking the last of her wine, she leaned on the island, gripping her wine glass. Meeting Billie's eyes she softly spoke. "It's about Olivia...".