Coffee Dates & Cinnamon Cakes (Part One)

Standing at the entrance of her high school hallway, Olivia tightly held her binder in front of her. Scanning the crowd of her classmates, Olivia sighed deeply hoping to avoid bumping into Layla or Asher. Lowering her head she made her way to her locker. Turning the knob, an announcement on the speaker rang, when she looked up, waiting for Mrs. Crawley to speak. She'd been the morning speaker since freshman year. "Good morning Beverly high. Just a quick reminder that today is your last day to vote for who you want to be homecoming king and queen. They will be announced this Friday where you will be able to vote for your favorites on the homecoming court. Just a reminder homecoming is a couple of weeks away and next week tickets go on sale. So don't forget to buy yours so you won't miss out. Have a wonderful day and don't forget to eagle on".

Olivia smiled, shaking her head at how cringey Mrs. Crawly can be. Opening her locker door, Olivia placed her binder inside. The bell had rung, signaling they had seven minutes to get to their next class. As if no one listened to the bell, the halls had still been packed with students hanging out by their lockers. Out of all the conversations happening around her, just the sound of their voices stopped her in her tracks. Following the voices, Olivia turned when her eyes fell on Vanessa and Asher's. Taking a deep sigh, she couldn't help herself but watch them. With each step, they walked closer to her, as if her heart had been caught in her throat. The pounding in her ears became consistent. Olivia sighed deeply just as they were only ten feet away from her. Close enough to hear their conversation. 

"So about the movie on Saturday? You still up for it? If you want we can grab dinner beforehand?" Vanessa asked. "Yeah I know this great place, I've been wanting to take you to. Why don't I pick you up at six?" Asher asked. Olivia's eyes met Ashers when his jaw clenched. Turning his head the other direction, he cleared his throat. Vanessa turned towards Olivia, wrapping her arms around Asher when she waved. "Oh hey, Olivia," Vanessa said. With a condescending smile on the corners of her mouth, the moment she and Asher passed by. Olivia rolled her eyes, shaking her head. 

She knew Vanessa had been waiting for the day she had been out of Asher's life. And now with them being broken up, nothing was standing in Vanessa's way. Olivia turned back when Vanessa's eyes met hers. Giving her another smile. She turned around leaning her head on Asher's shoulder. As if to make Olivia jealous. Although she had still cared for Asher, Olivia had been happy, and the feelings she had for him, were now a memory of the past. Turning back to her locker, Olivia's eyes caught a picture that hung on her door. When a smile fell on her lips. It was a polaroid of her and Spencer. One of her favorites she took on the Fourth of July. Letting her fingers graze the picture, she softly smiled. Closing her eyes, it took her back to that same day. Taking in another deep breath, before exhaling. Simone's voice kicked her out of her thoughts when Olivia opened her eyes. 

"You can't be serious we have a test in two days," Simone said annoyed. Shaking her head, Layla nodded. "We do, why don't you and me, make it a date. We can grab smoothies and study tomorrow after school. How does that sound?" Layla asked. Olivia shut her locker watching Simone and Layla walk towards her. Olivia crossed her arms watching both of the girls slow to a stop just a few feet away from her. "Yeah, that sounds like a plan. We will definitely need a few extra shots of expresso in those smoothies to keep us going" Simone said when Layla smiled. 

"So meet you at the parking lot tomorrow?" Layla asked. "Sounds like a plan" Simone smiled when both of the girls hugged. Layla's smile fell when her eyes did the same. "Hey, Liv". "Hey" is all Olivia said. Olivia looked in any other direction but at Layla's. The three of them had gotten quiet for a moment while the tension around them had felt heavy. They all stood around for a long moment of silence. Simone looked at both of the girls confused when Layla turned to Simone. "Well, that's my queue to go. Talk to you later".  Lowering her head, Layla cleared her throat holding her laptop tightly in front of her. Both Simone and Olivia watched Layla walk down the hall. 

"Want to tell me what is up with the both of you?" Simone asked. Olivia shrugged meeting Simone's gaze. "We just both realized we are better off not being friends" Olivia muttered. Her gaze fell down to her shoes when Simone shook her head. "I don't believe it". "Well believe it. We got into an argument, and we decided to break off our friendship," Olivia said. Simone sighed. "Liv...". 

"Look Simone, I'm fine. I can honestly say after a long time I'm finally putting myself first. It's been a hard couple of months, and I just want to enjoy being happy for once. Layla and my friendship had always been rocky. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop, and to be honest I was tired of it. I'm ready to move on, and for once think of what I want" Olivia said. "And what is it that you want?" Simone asked. A hint of a smile appeared on the corner of Simone's lips knowing exactly what Olivia had wanted. Olivia hesitated for a moment when her phone buzzed in her pocket. A sigh of relief washed over Olivia when Simone shook her head. 

"Oh, look at the time, looks like I have to take this. Maybe we can finish this conversation another time?" Olivia asked. "Oh, I see what you did there" Simone shook her head. Jordan walked up from behind when he looked at the both of them confused. "What did Olivia do?".  "Nothing," both of the girls said. "Okay, never mind forget I even asked," Jordan said. "Hey I gotta take this. See you two later" Olivia smiled. Waving goodbye, Olivia walked down the halls, before turning the corner.

"What was that all about?" Jordan asked. He watched his sister walk down the halls, talking on the phone. "I don't know. Your sister seems happier these days" Simone said. With a hint of a smile, Jordan turned back to Simone, nodding. "Yeah, she does, doesn't she" Jordan met Simone's eyes. Leaning in to kiss her on the cheek. "I got you a little something," Jordan said. "Am I missing something? Our anniversary, a special couples day or something?" Simone asked confused. "None of the above. Wait you don't know our anniversary? Never mind don't answer that. I was going to say, I was at the store this morning and thought of you" Jordan said. Pulling out a keychain he placed it in her hand. The keychain read "I love you". 

"Baby this is so cute. Thank you," Simone said. Wrapping her arms around his neck, placing a tender kiss on his lips. "Just wanted to give you something to remind you, how much I love you. These next couple of weeks are about to get busy, with football, and homecoming. What do you say you and I go somewhere tonight?" Jordan asked. "Like where? It's a school night, baby and you have practice" Simone said. "After practice. Pick you up at eight? Besides, I will always make time for my wife. I got something planned. Just dress warm okay?" Jordan asked. Pulling her closer to him, he placed subtle kisses on her lips. Convincing her with every kiss, Simone pulled away, shaking her head. "Fine. Eight it is" Simone let out a smile when Jordan grinned. "Can't wait". 

Placing the phone next to her ear, she exhaled, when a smile stayed permanently on her lips. "You don't even know how much you just saved me," Olivia said. "That's two days in a row. I'm going to have to start keeping tally" Spencer said. "Oh is that so? How could I ever repay you?" Olivia asked. "Surprise me. You busy right now?" Spencer asked. Olivia thought for a moment, before answering. "No, why?". "Come outside," Spencer said. "What are you talking about?" Olivia asked confused. "Just come outside" Spencer repeated. Olivia stayed on the phone grinning from ear to ear. "Spencer James this better not be a joke," Olivia said. "Liv, I ain't going to tell you once more. Meet me outside," Spencer said. Making her way to the entrance of Beverly High, Olivia opened the doors when the sun blinded Olivia.

Hovering her hand over her eyes, she caught a familiar boy standing just twenty feet away from her. Olivia shook her head surprised to see Spencer in front of Beverly High. They both hung up the phone. "What are you doing here?" Olivia asked. Slowly making her way to Spencer, her eyes never left his. "You told me last night that you were stressed about today. I wanted to cheer you up, and thought of surprising you. If I do remember correctly you do have fourth period off. Kind of wanted to see if you and I could go grab some coffee?" Spencer asked. Meeting her gaze. Olivia stayed silent for a moment when a smile fell on her lips. Giving him a small nod, she walked next to him, close enough their shoulders touched with every step that they took. "Do you think we can get cinnamon cakes from our favorite place?" Olivia asked. "You read my mind," Spencer smiled. Interlacing his hands in hers, they both walked to Olivia's car. Exiting the school parking lot, they made their way to the coffee shop.