Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder: (Part Four)

The sounds of the sirens blared off into the distance echoing through the neighborhoods interrupted Patience from her thoughts. With her luggages in hand, Patience looked back to the home that had built her. The home that she had learned to first walk, talk, sing, and play guitar. It was the home that had grounded her and made her the woman she is today. It was a small two-bedroom home, Ol' yellow as her father used to call it. With the paint chipping and the floor creaked with every step she took, it still held a special place in her heart. It was the home she knew no matter how far she would leave, she'd always have ol' yellow to come back to. A hint of a smile appeared on her lips when her eyes had caught little handprints on the front steps.

"Baby, I always want you to remember that this will always be your home. See, you are now apart of it. So when your grown and leave home, you'll know no matter what happens, you could always come back" her father smiled. The clear of a throat had brought Patience back when she opened her eyes and turned towards Little Jewels smiling at her. "The bus is ready to go. Just waiting on you. Are you good?" Little jewels asked. "Yeah, I'm good. I'm ready to go" Patience said slowly making her way out of her front gate. Placing the luggages in the trunk, Little Jewels, placed her hand on Patience's shoulder. "Don't worry you'll be back before you know it. And who knows maybe you'll love being on the road, you won't want to come back" Little Jewels said. Patience looked back to her house, before looking back at her.

"Crenshaw will always be my home. So I don't know about all that" Patience said opening the car door to get in. "Trust me once you get a taste of the road and the energy of the crowd playing your own song, it'll be different. I'll ask you that after your sold-out shows across the country" Little Jewels said. Patience's phone beeped when her eyes widened to see that all the remaining cities had been sold out. "Okay, guess you and me better put on a great show then," Patience said the moment her eyes sparkled in amazement. "Don't you worry about that, in three days we start rehearsals in Atlanta" Little Jewels said when Patience shook her head. Glancing out of the window, she saw the last of Crenshaw blur past her. All the streets she used to walk were now etched in her mind as little memories, she'd remember when she felt homesick.

"Hey baby, I don't know if you're getting my messages but...I wanted to see you before I leave. I'll be waiting by the bus for you. There is still an empty seat next to me if you want to come and support your girl. Maybe you can join me on stage and live the life we both dreamed of. Anyways Little Jewels is only giving me another half an hour before we gotta leave. Love you..." Patience trailed off hanging up the phone. Standing outside the tour bus she waited for Coop to show. With a big smile on her face Patience checked the time on her watch when it'd been a quarter past twelve. Patience's heart would skip, watching the people past her hoping it would be her girlfriend. But with every passing minute, Patience's hope of seeing Coop had been slim. Checking her phone, she'd thought her phone had been on silent when there were no messages or missed calls. Patience deeply sighed shaking her head, she'd been annoyed Coop had been stubborn.

Looking down at her phone she'd sent another message when a car door slammed, which immediately made her look up as her eyes lit up, knowing it'd been Coop. When her heart sank into the pit of her stomach to see Spencer walk over to her. Patience sighed squeezing Spencer into a hug. "Damn why so disappointed? I know you're a big shot singer but you ain't gotta do all of that" Spencer said. Patience let out a smile when she shook her head. "Thank you for coming really I love you, but I was really hoping you were Coop," Patience said. Spencer looked confused glancing around to seeing no sign of Coop. "Wait you're telling me, Coop ain't showing up to say goodbye. I thought she had already left?" Spencer asked.

"No, I haven't been able to reach her since last night. Have you seen her?" Patience asked. "Yeah, I showed up at her house to talk to her. She wasn't having it. I don't know what's gotten into her but after the night of the cabin. Coop's been different..." Spencer trailed off. "I know what you mean, she's been acting weird. She's never missed my calls before. But I know your friendship breakup is hitting her hard, then me leaving on tour doesn't help. She's going to be left alone and it breaks my heart. I even invited her on tour with me, so she won't have to be alone. Yet I still haven't heard from her. I'm just worried about her that's all. Don't want Coop to do anything stupid and make a decision out of the emotions she's feeling right now" Patience said. "You and me both, but she won't talk to me. She won't listen to anyone that's the problem" Spencer said when Patience nodded. With a sad smile, she checked her phone once again.