Crenshaw Block Party (Part One)

It'd seemed like everyone in the community had been outdoors setting up for the homecoming block party tonight. The smile on their faces, as the kids ran around chasing each other, was a sight that was rare to see. For the past few years, the gangs had been taking over the neighborhood, leaving the community with limited events. But this time had felt different.

The block party that was once canceled due to rivalry gangs was now seen as a celebration to bring the community back together. Something the people of Crenshaw had missed. The homecoming celebration had been a big talk of the town. The city would prepare days before the event, and every year it'd only seem to grow to more neighborhoods. What once started as a block now turned into an entire city celebrating the homecoming game. With food, dancing, a parade, and fireworks.

Kia grinned from ear to ear watching her event come together. As a little girl, the block party had always been her favorite. Sitting on her father's shoulders overlooking the crowd watching the marching band and dance team walk down the block celebrating the upcoming football game. She'd always look forward to homecoming week. She knew for her last year at Crenshaw High, she needed to bring back one of the most loved community events.

Tapping her pen on her clipboard she smiled checking off another thing off her to-do list. Looking up, she glanced around her neighborhood to see everyone pitching in to help out. She stood on the sidewalk before the dance floor that had been just built for tonight's event. Kia was able to get permission to close down the block to keep the cars from driving through. The makeshift dance floor was built in the street centered in the middle of the block party. With the help of volunteers and donations from the local shops in town, Kia was able to get enough resources to build the dance floor, the string lights that hung across the trees, and the decorations that were scattered throughout the neighborhood.

Somehow it looked better than she imagined. Kia deeply sighed the moment Spencer walked up behind her. He smiled just as big as her watching their community happy and for the first time in years, it had felt lively again. "What is this, two events in one week? Kia, I don't know how you do it. But you did this," Spencer said nodding towards their fellow neighbors, and classmates setting up the last of the tables in front of every home. "No Spence. We did this," Kia said looking at him when she nodded.

"You came back and put the spark that had been missing back into this community. Let's face it. If you didn't come back to Crenshaw, there would be no homecoming party, to begin with. You had everything going for you at Beverly. But when you heard what Principal Carter was going to do to Crenshaw High. You dropped everything to come back here and save our school from becoming a magnet. And I hope after tonight Principal Carter could see how much good there is still in this town. He could see that not all of us are in gangs, and we are just a community that is stronger than others. After all of this, and he still doesn't see how committed we are, then we are not going down without a fight".

"You can say that again. The boys have been putting in the work and doing better in their classes. He should at least respect the effort we've been doing," Spencer said when Kia nodded. "Thanks, Spence. I don't think I have thanked you for coming back to Crenshaw. Although you sometimes get on my nerves. I'm glad after everything we've been through we could still be there for each other and have stayed friends. Not a lot of other exes could say the same" Kia said.

"We've been through too much together to have our friendship go down with it. Besides you, Chris, Coop, and I had always stuck it out through thick and thin. Yeah, we may be a bit rocky right now, but we always got each other's back. No matter how far I leave, I will never leave the city that built me. Crenshaw will always be my home. And I know how much bringing in a magnet would affect every family in this city that is struggling to get by. But on top of all of that, they now have to worry about their children being put into a lottery system to hopefully get into the school. Doesn't make any sense. That's what Principal Carter doesn't understand. The people standing before us raised us to who we are today. He just thinks we are a bunch of gang members when it's the opposite. I'm hoping tonight he will see our city from a different point of view. Maybe exchange a few laughs. I swear that guy has so much resentment towards Coach Baker, it ain't even funny. Like, have you seen him smile?" Spencer asked when Kia shook her head.

"Not even once. I sent him an invitation to come, so hopefully, he can make it and see a different side of Crenshaw he hasn't seen before," Kia said when Spencer nodded. "I'd be surprised if he showed. Let alone see the city we see, not the city that sent him to boarding school," Spencer said. "So...about tonight are you excited?" Kia asked when Spencer nodded. "Most definitely. I'm ready to get on the dance floor and show off my moves," Spencer said dancing out of rhythm. Kia burst into laughter shaking her head. "Please let me know when you're going to start dancing so I can see my way out,". Spencer's smile faded.

"That's cold. You ain't ever seen dance moves like mine before," Spencer said. "No Spencer I can't say I have," Kia said patting his back. "You know what I meant though when I said if you were ready for tonight, right?". "I know what you meant. I got everything set up. Just waiting for the perfect moment," Spencer said when Kia nudged him. "I'm sure you'll find one,". "How about we get back to work. We still got so much to do before tonight," Kia said.

"I swear I thought we were done last night," Spencer said when Kia let out a laugh. "You funny. Oh you mean the part where you and Chris ditched me to play those games?" Kia asked. "Fair point," Spencer said. "Besides I got you for a couple of more hours, and you know I'm going to use every minute of it," Kia said when Spencer sighed. "So when do we get that break you promised?". Kia laughed. "Boy you a volunteer there is no such thing as a break,".