Catching up

Time passed quickly and before he knew it, Derek was waking up to front door of Meredith's house. Slowly, he hesitated before stretching up to knock on the door. When that door it was like time had stopped. Meredith stood their with her golden hair in loose waves flowing just past her shoulders, her skin had started to develop a dark tan. Freckles decorated her face and her smile was beaming. But it was her eyes, they could light up the darkest nights.

"Hey Derek,come on in, I'm nearly ready."
Meredith turned around leaving Derek to stand at the door, as she grabbed her cardigan and keys. She decided to leave her phone at home tonight so she could really enjoy the moment.
"Alright,I'm all ready, shall we getting going then?"
"Sure,let's go."
Together they made their way out of the house and began their journey down the beach.
"So Meredith, how have you been? Like I feel like it's been forever since I seen you."
"Oh well, you know I've been fine."
Fine. As soon as Derek heard that word he stopped his steps and grabbed Meredith and pulled her into a hug. Her head rested on his chest and their arms wrapped tightly around each other.
"Mer, I know you, I know that the minute you use the word fine it usually means that you haven't been fine. Come on speak to me."
He really did care for Meredith and it was his mission to make sure she was as happy as could be. Meredith leaned back to look Derek in the eyes.

"Look Derek, I know you care about me, it wouldn't be you if you didn't, but tonight I just really want to enjoy myself and forget about my problems at home. I promise I will speak to you but not tonight, please."

With this Derek placed a kiss on her forehead and breathed her in. Lavender. It smelt like home. He pulled away from the hug and linked his fingers with hers and continued walking.

"Sure, come on now. Everyone is eager to meet the girl I haven't stopped talking about all day."

Right in this moment Meredith felt safe, she felt secure but most importantly she felt loved. She knew her feelings for Derek had developed beyond friendship but she didn't know if he felt the same and that terrified her. But for now she was going to enjoy her evening and make the most of being back in the presence of Derek.