23 | Loving You Was A Losing Game

"Why are you doing this to us?"

Hera went to the balcony where Joy was smoking and smiling to herself. When the latter didn't face her, she grumbled and grabbed her elbow to make Joy face her. Her eyes were blazing with anger and frustration with everything that was happening around her. Because of this woman, who was hiding behind a mask.

"I didn't do anything." Joy's smile widened and she blinked innocently.

Hera rolled her eyes. "I know damn well that it was you who asked Taemin to find Baekhyun. Why? You didn't like that we were having a great time?" She stepped in her direction and glared at the latter. "Don't think for a second that I don't see past your facade."

Joy took a deep breath as she circled Hera and placed an arm around her shoulder which Hera pushed off swiftly. It made her chuckle. "Genuine question, why do you hate me this much? I've never done anything to make you doubt me."

Hera stared straight into her eyes. Her opponent looked genuinely interested in the matter, and as much as she hated giving explanations, she owed it to Joy. Warning and motives were must. "You know when I first got engaged to Baekhyun, what he promised me?"

The brunette shrugged. "You tell me."

"That he would protect me. Always." She got into her face and huffed out a laugh. "He doesn't know it, but I've promised him the same thing, that I would protect him always. Right now I can see that he needs protection from his own family more than others."

Joy gasped in awe. "So fucking romantic. Devils do have a heart after all."

"Like you're not a devil yourself." Hera placed her fingers around the back of her neck, holding her in place. "I know you've feelings for Taehyung, and you stayed in Sal-inja because of the betrayal you felt from your lover for not being able to protect your family, but at the end of the day, you're going to choose him over everyone else."

"Just like you're going to choose Baekhyun over everything he is going to do in the upcoming months." Joy grabbed her hand and scanned it with a chuckle. "You knew about his plans already, didn't you? Still played innocent in front of me."

"Yes. I knew."

"You really are a great actress. I almost thought of you as a vulnerable woman, crying around the monsters of the world, while all along, you're the one feeding them the blood they needed to survive."

"We all were innocent... four years ago when everything was rainbows and sunshine, but things has happened." Hera stared at her. "I know you've your reasons for everything, and I have mine. I don't blame you, but I don't blame myself either for protecting the ones I love."

"Cool." Joy nodded. "I'm glad we're clear on that." She leaned closer to the latter, and whispered against her ear as Hera shuddered, "Let me make a confession then. I'm going to ruin your happiness which is this throne and my once a dear friend, Byun Baekhyun. Do whatever you want to save them."