34 | Never Let Me Go

Taehyung went down the basement.

His steps hurried downstairs and Yeji was ahead of him, her whole body trembling with rage. Things had gone wrong, more than they could have afford. Felix was in danger. Yeji could not think straight, not anymore. For years, she had kept quiet as she watched Sal-inja do everything to put them down, but they crossed the line this time. They definitely did.

Her finger was curled around the gun in her hand and as she threw open the door between her and Chanyeol, the reality finally dawned. Park Chanyeol was in perfect condition. He was talking to Chungha and was explaining to her about some medical operation he had done years ago. He looked well, more than well.

"Are you having fun?" Yeji scoffed as she slapped her hands against the table, and Chanyeol jumped. "Why?" Her wide anger filled eyes stared down at him she grew agitated. "Why are we treating you good, you son of a bitch?" she screamed at his face, and he moved back, curling into a small figure against the wall.

"What... What's happening?" Chanyeol glanced at Yeji and then at Taehyung before settling his eyes back on Yeji. "I'm not getting-"

"Your fucking wife kidnapped my brother!" She suddenly leaned in and wrapped her fingers around his neck as he gasped.

"Yeji, let him go. He's not involved in this." Taehyung grabbed her arm gently, but she kept a firm hold on his neck as he struggled to breathe. Chungha watched how Chanyeol's face turned pale, and the tears Yeji had held in rolled down her cheeks as she tightened her grip.

"You're having fun, and my brother there, is being tortured!" She watched as he paled, her hold cutting off his oxygen supply.

"Enough!" Taehyung snapped and pulled her away from Chanyeol as the latter gasped for breath, falling on the ground. "He's not involved! We're not going to become like them. Don't you get it? It's not you. Not us."

"Yeji... Is Felix..." Chungha's eyes went to Namjoon who was standing near the entrance and he nodded, confirming her suspicion. "Oh my God."

"I need to think about it." Taehyung closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Wendy didn't contact us because she is not the one to back down. She used Felix as leverage instead."

"Shall we return Chanyeol then?" Chungha asked, and Yeji stared at the wall blankly. "Yeji, hold on. We'll get through this."

Taehyung also noticed her empty eyes, and went to hold her hands. "I promise you, I'll bring Felix back to us. I won't let anything happen to him. Please let me think about it -"

"Think about it?" Yeji huffed, and met his stare ahead. "You would have been on your way to make negotiations with Sal-inja if it were your own brother. Right?"

"It's not like that-wait." Taehyung paused as the realisation of her words dawned upon him. "My own brother? Felix is my brother," he said slowly, and she looked away, "Is something going on?" For the first time in her life, she heard his voice tremble, and felt immense guilty for what she was about to tell him.