Chapter 45: Adam

There's a twist to the POVs in this chapter- 

I feel like the dogs aren't included enough, so yeah....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Alpha's P.O.V*

I was laying in the grass outside my humans' house, watching the horses grazing farther to my right. The entrance to the house opened and my adopted brother, Sarge, came trotting outside. My little sister, Demi, was playing around with a ball that was almost three times the size of her paw, yet she still thought she could kill it like she were a wolf. 

Getting up from my spot in the shade, I padded off to an are where the horses had begun to gather. It was a place under a tree and there was a large ring of stones beside a similar one that was smaller. 

Around this place, I keep hearing the names 'Smithy' and 'Bailey'. I've seen things that they say the name Bailey to, and it appeared to be another dog. The human with the fiery-colored fur on his head says it most, so I'm assuming that this Bailey belonged to him. 

"Alpha!" 

I turn to see Sarge staring off into the trees. 

"There's something back there." He said once I approached his side. 

The wind blew in our favor and I caught a scent that I didn't recognize. It didn't seem to be too far, so we agreed to set out and look for whatever it was that was on our territory. But, we hadn't even taken a few steps before a voice came from behind us.

"Where are you going?"

We both turned, huffing slightly at our younger sister.

"We're just going to check something out, Demi. We'll be back." Sarge said, but she didn't seem appeased.

"I'm going with you." She squeaked, her voice still not fully matured. 

"No... you'll stay here. I don't feel like it's safe for you to come with us. Maybe next time, Demi." I said, and Demi looked defeated.

She sighed, "...Fine..." and padded off to lay in the shade beside the steps to the house. Sarge and I nodded to each other and set off to see what this scent was.

----

After a few moments of tracking, we came to a place where the scent was very strong. Sarge stayed low under a fallen tree and I hid among the rocks close by. As I was going to peak around the edge of the stones to see our visitor, whom I could smell from here, a light noise came from behind me. 

It was Raja and Spartan, mine and Sarge's brothers that stay with the male humans. I moved my tail up and down as a sign for them to stay low and quiet. The Ridgeback and Dutch Shepherd met with me behind the rocks. 

"What's going on?" Spartan whispered.

"There is an unknown human about ten tail-lengths away." I said and Raja looked around.

"Where is Sarge?"

"Under a tree about 5 lengths left of us."

The Shepherd slinked over to Sarge and remained low. I could hear the human talking, and he didn't seem happy.

"Yes, I understand. We will bring them all back into holding. How many have escaped now? ....Only Ryan, Lewis, and Adam left? D*mn it... alright. I'll see what I can do. I'll let you know how it goes."

I swished my tail to the side, telling the others to stay back. I, myself, launched onto the rock above me, growling at our intruder and pinning my ears flat against my head. He turned, looking frightened, and took a step back.