Chapter 14: Dancing For Freedom (How Original)

*Ray's P.O.V*

The next morning started off normal, like any other day would. We all got up at 5 and drove out to the barn. The boys all spoke with Karen about how they were interested in working there and she was more than happy to add them to the team. 

"How often do you train the horses?" Will asked as him, Sage, Lewis, and I were getting two horses ready side by side. 

"Every weekday unless something comes up, like a farrier or something. But not all of them are active-working horses. It's only Trigger, Stevie, Rocky, Jack, and Pistol that we have to work. Kristyn works her horses Dee and Charlie, Brittany works LuLu and GiGi, and Rodney works Austin and Joy." Sage answered back. 

"Isn't GiGi the light chestnut you showed me earlier?" Lewis then asked me.

"Yea. And she's actually Trigger's dam." 

"His what?" Will laughed.

"His dam." I responded, trying to hold back a laugh. "His mother."

"Oohhhhh." Will then added in his weird, high-pitched voice: "I gotcha."

--------

I led Jack from his stall and walked him to the front of the barn. Sage and Will took Stevie to the bullpen at the other end of the barn for long-lining while I rode.

"He looked shorter in the stall." Lewis laughed.

"That's because it was a smaller space." I said, pulling my stirrups down and taking my reins.

"Do I need to hold him for you?" 

I laughed. "I wouldn't to be honest. He's very energetic and might try to run you over."

"Well then."

I pulled myself onto Jack's back and as soon as I hit the saddle, the large liver-chestnut horse tried to spin and take off outside with me.

"Hey- Hey now!" I growled. "You stop it. Right now." I pulled my reins back and forced him around the right way. Jack huffed, but obeyed and started walking along the wall of the barn, glancing into the other stalls as he passed them.

*Anora's P.O.V*

"Woah, easy. Woah, easy." I told Pistol, a three-year old Saddlebred colt as we rode around outside. "Relax buddy. You're okay."

The excited colt snorted and dipped his head, trying to pull at my reins. 

"Nope. We ain't gonna do that." I said, pulling my reins a bit to raise his head again.

Rhys watched intently as I made my way to a single lane-sized path between the ring and the school pasture that we call the strip. At the end of the strip, I turned Pistol around and kicked him up a bit.

"Whoa, trot. Whoa, trot." I said and the colt did a little hoppy-dance before going into a smooth-- yet speedy-- trot. "Easy buddy." I bumped his reins a bit and he slowed down. 

I rode him down the strip and around a patch of trees into the parking area, where Rhys was videoing me. When we approached the Scot, Pistol jumped on his front feet a little. 

"Whoa Pistol." I said and Rhys laughed.

"The name fits him." 

"Yes it does." I laughed back. "But he's a good boy. One of the smartest colts I've ridden in a while."

"D*mn gorgeous too." He said, patting Pistol's neck.

I rode him back inside, with Rhys beside us, and dismounted. Taking everything off but his bridle, I led him back to his stall and saw Ray riding Jack with Sage with Stevie in the bull pen.