Chapter 16

Madeleine's POV:

"Martin, come, I want to talk to you about something."

I'm confused and scared, what could it possibly be?

Martin looks back at me and sees the confused look on my face, then he stands up from the bed and starts following my dad to where he was going.

I stand and walk towards the door to watch where they were going, they entered my dad's office.

So I walk towards it and stand outside the closed, wooden door, listening to their conversation, eavesdropping.

"Listen," I hear my dad say. "I... this is going to be weird and awkward, um..." He takes a long time to talk, like always, and I know he's thinking of what to say. "I don't live there in California, obviously, so, I can't take care of Maddie like I used to..."

Fuck, I wonder where he's taking this. And great, I finally have Martin, and now he's going to get scared away...

"I need you to protect her, to take care of her when she needs to be taken care of, and, you know, all of that," he explains.

"Yes of course," Martin replies. "I always try my best to protect and take care of her,"

"Good," he sounds relieved. "Also... I need you to manage the boys she will date, like if you know they are bad, kick them out, I need you to always make sure that they are good for her..."

"Yeah, that's what I was planning to do, but, she hasn't dated any boy since I know her..." He trails off. "Do you guys know about that guy Brian?" Fuck. Fuck. Fuck, Martijn. Fuck.

"I've heard about him, only from the media though..." He answers. Shit, Martin's going to tell him everything and I'll just stay here and die.

"He was -excuse me for the word, but a dick. He was crazy jealous and he punched me, so I punched him back and he passed out, he was a little drunk, and then like Maddie has to be such a good person, her and her other best friends took him upstairs and he slept there, but then in the morning, they fought really bad, so that night I went to her house and she was crying and eating ice cream and watching cheesy romantic movies..." he explains. "Then I took care of her, made her feel at least a little bit better, and stuff..."

"You handled it pretty well," He replies. "If I was there I probably would have beat him up," they laugh. "Thank you for doing all that. And um, one thing..." he pauses. "Does Maddie cuss a lot?"

"Yeah, a lot." Martin says dramatically.

"She got that from me, so you can cuss whenever the fuck you want here because this whole family does more in a day than an old man has ever cussed in his whole life." He says and I hear Martin laugh. I giggle because it's funny and completely true, but then I realized I made a noise, and that they couldn't know I was here. So I ran as quietly as I could to the opposite side of the room; the kitchen.

Once I ran across the whole entrance without making much noise, I felt relieved. Now it's impossible for them to know I was listening to everything.

I hear Martin walking up the stairs, so I walk back to the room and now, close the door.

"Where did you go?" He asks me.

"I went to get a glass of water," I say, obviously lying. He has a confused look on his face as if he was suspecting something. "What did he tell you?" I finally ask.

"Um," I can tell he's getting a bit nervous, my dad probably told him to not say anything to me. "We were just talking about guy stuff..." He says, he's not the best liar though.