Chapter 26

Martin's POV:

"Why are you crying?"

Fuck.

"Maddie, what are you doing here? I thought you were gone already."

"Martijn, why are you crying?" now she started calling me by my real name?

How am I supposed to explain the reason why I'm crying to the reason why I'm crying? I don't want her to know.

"It's none of your business, Madeleine."

"Martijn, what the fuck? You're my best friend! Why are you hiding something from me?" she yells.

That's it. There's no getting out of this one. She won this fight.

Think, Martijn. Think.

But I won't let her.

"I'm crying over Lynn," I answer after my few seconds of thinking, in a lie. Truth is: I'm crying over the girl in front of me. Her eyes widen.

"I thought you were over her already!"

"Guess not," I say. "Now, what are you doing here?" she inhales deeply.

"I knew you were lying to me," she says slowly. "So I wanted the truth."

"About what?"

"It's impossible for there to be a hole in the wall that is the size of a fist, and for it to be caused by a hammer. And that it's also impossible for your hand to be hurt so bad just by hitting it against a table. How stupid do you think I am?"

"You don't know how big the hammer was," I say in a defensive tone.

"I don't care! I'm still sure you're lying to me!" she yells.

"Damn, I forgot that you always think everything through," I say. "Okay, I... I punched the wall."

"Why would you do that?"

"I was mad... because of Lynn." I lie once again.

"Ugh." she rolls her eyes. "That fucking bitch. I swear I would beat the shit out of her."

"Woah, woah, woah. Maddie, stop with the swearing... and the aggressiveness."

"Stop pretending you don't swear."

"I'm three years older than you. I can."

"Shut up! That has nothing to do with it. Plus, I'm much more mature."

"Not true."

"Yes it is! Girls mature faster." she smirks like she just won. "Okay, let me get this clear; you were crying because of Lynn, and you got mad so you punched the wall?"

"Pretty much," I say.

"That's crazy, but oh well."

"It's getting really late." I change the subject.

"Dammit," she looks at the time on her phone, "I have to get going. Bye." she runs to me and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek, before running out the door.

Thank god she didn't notice I lied this time.

-

I wake up to my phone alarm and notice I'm not in my bedroom. I'm in my living room. I guess I fell asleep on the couch.

With a headache, I get up to quickly get ready, knowing I have a meeting today.

I wonder what Maddie's up to.

Madeleine's POV:

My eyes flutter open and I find myself only in underwear, my head laying on Justin's chest.