Chapter 41

After about a million times hearing Maddie scold me for shaking my leg, I actually consider stopping. I try, and it simply doesn't work out.

"So you're not going to stop shaking your leg, huh?" She may be beginning to accept the agitating body part of mine. "You're mean. It's bothering me and you know that. You're doing it on purpose!" she accuses.

"Maddie, you may be getting a little worked up about this as well. You are accusing me of things I can't control."

"Are you saying that you can't control bothering me?"

"If that makes sense. I'm not doing it on purpose. I swear."

"You're nervous. I get it, but you are getting the part. I know you are."

"And how would you know that Miss Delacroix?"

"You've got potential."

"You sound so old. I even called you 'Miss Delacroix' to top that off."

"Okay, now you are being mean. I tell you something nice and look at your response. Thank you for so much, Garritsen."

"Don't call me that."

"I think you deserve it."

And that is when someone calls my name. A guy, looking down at a clipboard as he holds up some of its papers. Like there have been way too many men auditioning for this role. I don't stand a chance. But Maddie already forced me to give it a try. At least she said she would recompense me for this, and I've got an idea of what it is she will recompense me with.

This same guy, who called me, points to an open door. At first I think it could be an exit, but then I think a little more thoroughly, and realize it's the room I will be auditioning in. I feel a pit begin to form in my throat and expand toward my stomach.

Maybe I can handle this, is what I murmur under my breath on my way to that door. I just don't want to make a complete idiot of myself. They film the auditions. It could go wrong. And viral. I feel like I'm risking something huge and don't exactly know what it is. I shouldn't be thinking about this. Especially now that I am already facing the camera.

And I start reading the lines.

Madeleine's POV:

A short amount of time goes by slowly since Martin left the room, as I wait for my name to be called. I have to admit that I may be just a tad nervous, because I know me and Martin both have to get these parts. If not, it would all be a screw up.

They call my name, and the audition is quick. They tell me they will call me back as soon as they've made the decision before I leave, spotting Martin in the waiting room.

-

"My phone won't stop ringing but I'm happy!" I tell Martin as I try to turn it off, struggling and failing miserably.

"You look like a crazy person, grunting and complaining, but in the happiest way."

"I lighten the mood, don't I?"

"Why haven't we opened up a bottle of champagne to celebrate why you're getting so many calls yet?"

Turns out, my album, which was released yesterday, has made it to the top of the charts in many different countries. Almost a hundred. Which is a huge deal. And how could I not be happy if my album is such a success? The repetitive ringtone of my cellphone is kind of killing the mood though.

"I don't drink and drive."

"You're driving? Where are you going?" Just when he was getting the bottle, he gives me a disappointed look.