Chapter 43

A week has gone by, and me and Martin haven't spoken to each other since the argument we had. I see him, but I try for him not to see me; I avoid him and I wonder if he is avoiding me.

Martin's POV:

A week has gone by, and it breaks my heart to say that Maddie still hasn't spoken to me, and that I can't build up the courage to approach her. I notice how she tries to avoid me and fails. It actually makes me laugh inside, but it also makes me sad.

I don't try to avoid her. In fact, I try to be wherever she is. I just want her to speak to me. I don't want to be forgotten, especially by her.

Although she's always out now. She spends just a few hours at home, and then leaves again.

I see her and Diplo's Snapchat stories, and they're all full of each other. It sickens me to see Maddie being herself and happy and cheerful with someone who isn't me.

One day, I gather all the strength I have within me, and as she leaves I ask her where she is going.

This takes her way off guard, and she just stares at me as if I'd just killed someone.

"What?"

"I asked you where you are going."

"The same place I've been going to these past terrible days."

"Okay." Weakness takes over me, and all I am able to do is go back to what I'm doing on my laptop. She storms out of the room.

I've been working on a new track these past few days, and to be honest, they're turning out depressing. I didn't even know electronic music could be depressing.

And now I just remembered: we have an award show to attend in a few days. I don't know what it could be like if we don't make up before it comes. It would be very, very awkward. I mean, because we have to walk the Red Carpet together, and sit next to each other... usually whenever one of us wins an award we hug each other. And we're both nominated for awards. Especially her.

Imagine how awkward it would be for Dillon and Julian... although they would actually attempt to lighten the mood a few times, and that could do it. But I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Madeleine's POV:

Today Martin took a chance and talked to me. Although after I replied something I thought would be a conversation starter, all he said was 'okay'. 'Okay'. I am not okay with that 'okay'.

And there is an award show in a few days. How are we supposed to make up with 'okay'? Does he even remember we have to go to this thing?

We're both nominated. Me, for: Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Female Artist of the Year. In all categories, I'll be competing against Selena.

Martin is nominated for: Dance Artist of the Year and Male Artist of the Year, where he'll be competing against Justin.

Together (our collab), for: Dance Song of the Year, Best Collaboration and Song of the Year. Yes, I am competing against us in one.

Until then, I am eager to see if Martin gathers some more courage, and talks to me again.

-

He hasn't.

It is now the day of the award show, and the car we are all in is flooded with awkwardness. I try to shake it off, but find it too hard.

Once we get there, fans attempt to swarm around us as we egress the vehicle, though security guards hold them back. I still greet them.